My 1991 300ZX NA won't start

Asked by Aug 14, 2010 at 10:56 AM about the 1991 Nissan 300ZX 2 Dr 2+2 Hatchback

My car won't start, when I turn on the key the dash lights up and radio/cd work, but it won't crank.
It was running and starting fine the other day, but after I shut it down, no more.
I checked the battery, charger says it's full.
It has a AutoPage 750LCD Alarm, I use the Valet feature.
Looking for ideals

75

maybe your starter relay went bad

35

Have you checked the alternator? Could possibly be the problem.

30

i agree it could be the alternator but you have to remember these cars are pulling electric juice even when sitting idle (the clock etc). The battery may be full - but still maybe bad. I had a similar problem, the battery was about 8 years old, and the car is driven only 3000 miles a year, sure enough, after a full charge and no start up inly interior lights etc, I had the batt tested and found two cells in it were blown. Never thought that one would happen. had the battery replaced and she is back and running strong again!

3,055

Have someone CAREFULLY lay under the car, and tap the side of the starter with a hammer while you try to start it. It will probably start up; starter's bad.

205

Unhook the electrical connections (both ground and power) and make sure they are clean and can make good contact too. I was having this problem on my Z31 and it was because the oil filter sits right above the starter and every time the oil filter was changed it would leak onto the starter and get in between the connections and cause them to lose contact. I would have to clutch start it, which if there is no hill and/or limited space, can be a b*tch

50

I'm having the same problem on my '93 2+2. What was your solution?

40

Check the fuse box on the kick panel (under the dash). There is a 10amp fuse for ignition on the lower row. My 1991 2+2 had the lights all on and everything worked but wouldn't engage the starter. It was as simple as replacing that fuse. Hope this helps ya out.

50

Thanks Chris! My problem (now solved) was the ground in the THEFT relay under the hood...apparently it wasn't making a good connection.

30

i have a new battery and new cables and it only starts when i take it out of park ..go to drive..then back to park...or push up on shifter while it is in park and it will start..whats up with that?

30

oh i forgot it is a 1988 nissan 300 zx

My 1990 doesn't want to start, I used it all day to go and come from school. I was going to put it away and it didn't want to start. No noise, no nothing. All the lights turn on and work??? Help?