1992 maxima se drives fine then car has a sudden lose of power i pull over idles fine but when i press on gas engine stumbles on acceleration why is this

Asked by Aug 04, 2013 at 11:52 PM about the 1992 Nissan Maxima SE

Car drive fine idles fine but after driving for a while it suddenly loses power while driving
pull over and it still idles fine but when i press on gas it stumbles and has no acceleration
but i turn it off for 10 minutes and it drives fine again for a while and then it contiues

It could be your ignition coil breaking down when it heats up. Pull a spark plug cable and attach a spare spark plug to it and while grounding the body (best to use a spark plug ground cable from Auto Zone), see if you see a spark at the spark plug tip. You need to do this when the symptom happens. If no spark, it will most likely be the ignition coil. I don't recommend off-brand coils if you can avoid it. Another thing to check is arcing to ground from your spark plug high voltage cables. Inspect all spark plug cables for cracks along the areas where it touches the engine (it shouldn't be touching in the first place). I would go ahead and replace the spark plug cables but be sure to pull one at a time or mark which ones are going where so you do not get the firing sequence mixed up from the distributor. Good luck.

Bryan Lutz

Same with my 92 maxima se. Has a ticking coming from the front head that comes in and out. Drives fine for 10min, then the loss of power, and when you press down aggressively on gas pedal, it backfires or makes a popping sound at the intake. I shut the car off, start it up again and drives fine for another 10 minutes.