lack of power

Asked by Nov 08, 2011 at 09:19 AM about the 1992 Nissan 300ZX 2 Dr 2+2 Hatchback

Raw lack of over all power and bad mileage in 92mine Nissan 300zx 5spd with v-6
How can I fix this?what can I do?

155

Buy USA

425

the na motor in those doesnt really give the car a whole lot of power in the first place and on top of that mileage is only around 18mpg on a perfectly running car. if you think that there may be an actual problem with the car, more details would help in diagnosing. if you want more power your going to have to do power mods, but you are going to sacrifice mileage when you do that

40

I have the same car except its an automatic. My car only has a flowmaster exhust system other than that, its stock. Also I have close too 200,000 miles on it. There is no lack of power what so ever. I would get your timing checked & a compression test done.....

40

Do the simple stuff first. Tune up, check you in & out ( your intake & exhust system). A burnt out cadlydic converter could be robbing you of power. Remember that car has 222hp stock.... Yes its nice to have the turbo & everything else, but show me another car made these days with 222hp stock.. Hope I was of some help.

65

Any kind of smoke from the exhaust?

555

We definitely need more info on how it's running to give you some specific direction. Does the Z sound like it's sputtering instead of running smoothly? What do you consider to be bad gas mileage? I have a '90 NA 5spd with about 100k on the engine (over 250k on chassis). I've owned it for nearly 10 years now. It has it's problems from time to time. But certainly no lack of power, and "I drive it like I stole it" most of the time, and I see about 20 MPG. Give us more info and we'll see if we can be of help.

I would have the timing checked by a professional mechanic. Let us know how you fix your problem here at http://www.carguru.com