do i need a repair done to my transmission?

Asked by Oct 07, 2013 at 02:19 PM about the 1992 Nissan 240SX 2 Dr SE Hatchback

when the car is sitting for a day itll go in reverse or drive(automatic) but when I go farther than a few feet or shift from one gear to the other itll just not go anywhere. I got told something is tearing up inside and glogging the filter, would I just need to change the filter and tranny oil to at least get it home across town?

241,345

Check the fluid level first, it might be low. http://www.wikihow.com/Check-and-Add-Fluid-to-Your-Automatic-Transmission