why does the speedometer go crazy when i go more than 65 mph?

Asked by May 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM about the 1996 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Wagon

vss (vehicle speed sensor) is sending bogus info---this is located on the transmission~

24,165

True and false. Usually, the VSS fails and sends bogus info to the PCM. It often fails and causes the speedometer cable to jump. The other possible cause of the jumping speedo needle can be a lack of lubrication of the cable in its housing. VSS isn't bad to get to although, for some weird reason, it's a little tough to get back in. The speedo cable lubrication requires pulling the dash bezel and the Instrument Cluster for access - kind of a pain but not too bad.

Tracy...just go ahead a search for a speedometer cable---this buggy don't have one!...that was my first guess~

24,165

I'd throw away your reference material because it isn't any good. Thanks for your opinion though.

Sensor sends to dash or speedo I was told on tranny or one of the front wheel hubs no cable Ford escorts wagon 1999 is electronic then why did speedo go crazy a few times when I nailed it entering freeway like it does have a cable in it if it's a sensor how I find it in tranny or wheel hubs front ?

As if the cable was going bad but don't see one under dash going to speedo which cluster behind or directly on back dash panel or before I go behind all that is it just before or under dash off speedo panel

24,165

If it's a 1999, right, there is no cable but there still is a Speed Sensor off of the top of the Transaxle. No fun to get to without a hoist. It's on top but nearly at the Firewall.

Oh well just like a d Saab 93 turbo I'm buying a friggin horse he just farts and dies at least I can eat his ass lol