Do I have to pull the whole dash apart just to fix the REAR DEFOG light on dash? I went to turn it on yesterday and it POPPED in the dash. 96 Ford Escort LX

Asked by Dec 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM about the 1996 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Wagon

I have Haynes Manuel and it does not help at all. Not Question wise.
I will take a picture only if it helps, Till then no photos.

no, you just have to take the outside bezel off the dash. theres 2 screws going up under the top trim piece in front of the speedo, and a few other screws to take out. may have to drop your steering wheel down unless you have a tilt. I had to because you just end up wrestling with the thing if you dont. attached is a photo of what you dont wanna have to do lol

Best Answer Mark helpful

That is EXACTLY what I am afraid of......DOING SOMETHING AS BAD AS THIS. Oh my goodness. Not looking like a lot of fun. So take out the two screws and a few more? Ok will post back if it worked out a ok. Thanks Steve

no prob. its relatively simple. if you find you cant get the bezel out from behind the wheel without dropping it, there 3 or 4 bolts under the column you take out and GENTLY let the wheel rest on the seat. also dont forget to disconnect and reconnect the clips if you have a wagon with a real wiper or power mirror controls on the left side.

Thanks Steve. I am having a hell of a time. Yes its a station wagon and has power everything. So (just in case) Do I unhook the battery? I hate SPARKS!!

shouldnt have to. i changed my heater core, and had to since i needed to get down to my speedometer cable. just unclipping the connectors should be enough. there's a topic on that outlines how to fix the switch if you don't have a replacement. also a lot of good sources of info there.

there are some metal clips you have to pull against until they release, but make sure you have all the screws out first.