Do I have to pull the whole dash apart just to fix the REAR DEFOG light on dash? I went to turn it on yesterday and it POPPED in the dash. 96 Ford Escort LX

105

Asked by Dec 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM about the 1996 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Wagon

I have Haynes Manuel and it does not help at all. Not Question wise.
I will take a picture only if it helps, Till then no photos.

155

no, you just have to take the outside bezel off the dash. theres 2 screws going up under the top trim piece in front of the speedo, and a few other screws to take out. may have to drop your steering wheel down unless you have a tilt. I had to because you just end up wrestling with the thing if you dont. attached is a photo of what you dont wanna have to do lol

Best Answer
105

That is EXACTLY what I am afraid of......DOING SOMETHING AS BAD AS THIS. Oh my goodness. Not looking like a lot of fun. So take out the two screws and a few more? Ok will post back if it worked out a ok. Thanks Steve

155

no prob. its relatively simple. if you find you cant get the bezel out from behind the wheel without dropping it, there 3 or 4 bolts under the column you take out and GENTLY let the wheel rest on the seat. also dont forget to disconnect and reconnect the clips if you have a wagon with a real wiper or power mirror controls on the left side.

105

Thanks Steve. I am having a hell of a time. Yes its a station wagon and has power everything. So (just in case) Do I unhook the battery? I hate SPARKS!!

155

shouldnt have to. i changed my heater core, and had to since i needed to get down to my speedometer cable. just unclipping the connectors should be enough. there's a topic on feoa.net that outlines how to fix the switch if you don't have a replacement. also a lot of good sources of info there.

155

there are some metal clips you have to pull against until they release, but make sure you have all the screws out first.