If I remove my A/C belt, will it screw with the engine at all?

445

Asked by Dec 05, 2011 at 03:03 AM about the 1993 Nissan Sentra XE Coupe

I have a 1993 Nissan sentra XE with A/C. I don't want it anymore cause my sunroof helps with cooling alot. The A/C is only
connected to the crankshaft. I had thoughts of cutting the belt but had no idea if it will throw the engine off-course.

1,845

I have removed the A/C components from my Sentra without any ill effects, but I *do* have one question for you. Are you sure that it's only connected to the crankshaft? On my SR20DE, the A/C belt is tensioned by the alternator. If that is the case on your motor as well, you still don't need to leave the A/C hooked up, you can just go buy a shorter belt that just goes between the crankshaft pulley and the alternator. Personally, I opted to remove the A/C compressor and all its related components in an effort to reduce weight... if you really don't think that you'll change your mind about the A/C, you might consider doing the same. The A/C compressor *alone* easily weighs a good 40lbs...

445

The belt configuration goes: Compressor to idler pulley to crankshaft

1,845

You're right, I just looked it up. I forgot the GA16DE of the same vintage as my SR20DE used a three belt layout, as opposed to my motor's two belt layout. Regardless, that just makes it less of a hassle to remove the A/C compressor belt, since with the three belt layout, you don't have to guess which size belt you'd need just for the crankshaft and alternator. I am curious though, are you planning on removing the compressor altogether? Unless you are, I don't know that it's worth the effort of removing the belt, since the A/C belt doesn't actually encounter any resistance (and thereby has no effect on the motor) unless the A/C clutch is engaged. The A/C clutch only engages when the A/C is actually turned on in the car, so if you don't use the A/C, but have no intention of removing the compressor, etc, then taking off the belt won't actually have any noticeable effect on the car, aside from a distinct lack of cold air blowing in the event that the A/C *did* happen to get turned on.

445

yeah im removing everything, even the condensor, evap cans, etc. All lines were removed when alternator was replaced, since the compressor was shot, then no use have a/c.

95

You can`t remove the a/c belt because its part of the defrost mode on your heating system.

1,845

No, it's not. The defrost mode on the heating system just sends the warm air (which doesn't require the AC compressor at all) to the vents near the base of the windshield. The AC compressor only needs a belt in order to pump the refrigerant through the system, which *only* comes into play when attempting to blow cold air.

445

Good to know. Well in any case, I'm not planning to remove anything till the spring or when it warms up, so I have time to work out what I want to do. Thx for the info.

1,845

Sure thing man, feel free to hit me up anytime if you have any more questions... I can answer the majority of automotive type questions, but I know almost anything about Sentras (and pretty much any other car I've ever owned as well). Good luck!

how much gas dose it take to feel it up?

What can I do to reduce engine chatter in my 03 1.8 sentra. Sounds like valves chattering or rockers? Any help appreciated....