1991 Nissan Truck

30

Asked by Sep 02, 2015 at 03:41 PM about the 1993 Nissan Pickup 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

About 4 years back i drove my truck across country. When i finally reached
my destination my transmission would not switch gears. I have not drove it
every since however i would go out and wash it up fill the tires and start it
every few months. However today i just started the truck and took it around
the block and seen no problems. Do you think it might be dirty or what
should i do about this? I dont want to drive it im affraid it might cause more
harm.

30

But what happens is 2nd gear revs third is fine.

104,195

try changing the fluid and filter, don't power flush the system and see what happens..

Ditto on NO FLUSH it will cause more problems that solves. Drain and and fill

Pull the dipstick and see if the fluid has a burnt odor. Stick the thing right under your nose, also the color, if a red-pink, good. After a long trip, it might have gotten hot. I can't imagine going cross-country and evidently one-way, without at least a decent load of gear. Personally I wouldn't worry about filter screen (yet)

30

So what your saying is just drain and fill it back up and dont bother with the filter?

30

And also with the reving to 3rd gear that has stopped and i seen no problems. So what do you think on that. Does this mean the tran is bad. But the fluid is brown and it was brown before i left on the trip

From http://www.ehow.com/list_7202700_nissan-pickup-transmission-problems.html -- "The transmission filter inside the Nissan pickup has a tendency of clogging after the truck has been driven for awhile. In the older model Nissan pickups the transmission filters were made of very cheap material such as plastics or mesh material causing the filter to become damaged because of the heat inside the transmission. The fluid level must be checked when the truck engine is idling. Nissan pickup owners also need to look at the color of the fluid and see if it needs to be changed or just leveled off. The color must be transparent and not black or brownish in color. The owner must also smell the transmission fluid to see if the fluid smells burnt. If the transmission fluid smells burnt, then the transmission fluid must be changed as soon as possible". End Quote That is cut and pasted, not my words. I could find no information whatsoever about where the filter even is, without paying $29. So I didn't go there. But common knowledge is the same for Nissan, Toyota, Honda and most others for that matter. I am pretty sure you have to drop the pan, and if you want to do so, all well and good. But a big mistake was leaving on a long trip with dirty/brown fluid. No lecture, no judgment, no offense, but a statement of fact. That is just my opinion, before dropping pan just drain and fill.