What is making it stall /

Asked by Jan 12, 2014 at 09:58 AM about the 1993 Nissan Maxima SE

My son's 93 Maxima has the rare double over head cam engine. The car runs fine but stalls randomly. Always starts right back up. Engine light doesn't com on. The light works cause I checked. I checked the trouble codes and there are none. (cause the light doesn't come on). He bought it used and there was no owners manual with it. The Chiltons manual does not cover that engine. I'm leaning towards the anti-theft system.  Any ideas?

Does it stall when slowing to stop at a light or when it's idling? If so sounds like a dirty or faulty idle air control valve and/or dirty throttle plate.

IAC - idle air control valve or MAF - mass air flow sensor

It will stall at an idle, going 65 down the highway or 45 on a secondary. Sometimes when it comes to a stop, sometimes when accelerating. Doesn't always stall. Usually it catches itself and stays running. Doesn't spit or sputter. just goes dead but comes back to life. Like turning the key off then back on quick.

Ok. Then check all battery connections. Make sure that they are clean and tight. Also clean and tighten the negative connections on the frame and motor. Loose or dirty connections can cause the issues you are having.

Mass air flow is dropping out.

Car is 20 years old. Make sure you inspect the battery cable ends real good. They might not be making a good connection to the cables themselves.

Tried a different MAF. Different ECM. Changed a lot of sensors and solenoids. Doors started locking by themselves intermittently. Sometimes while driving down the road at 40 or 50 MPHs.

It is a wiring issue then. Corroded ground wires will do this.

If you never got this issue resolved, I had a very similar issue with the stalling/dying. Sometimes I had to turn the key several times to start it again. It turned out to be the ignition switch under the steering wheel. I replaced that and she runs like brand new. Hope this helps.

I have the same problem I have a Nissan maxims 2001 and when I start it the rpm goes up than will die and only when I hit the gas to start up it will stay. Before I got it fixed I couldn't drive it 10 ft without it stalling. I got a new massair flow sensor and now when I start up the car it does it again but when I hit the gas it will start and drive without failing like before. When in drive not moving my rpm is .5 would that cause it to die when I start it?