I don't know which side to repair on my 1996 Ford escort lx 4 door hatchback. Tuffys said my cv boot was spilling over onto my axle making it rust bad but I need to figure out where that is.

Asked by Feb 13, 2015 at 07:47 PM about the 1996 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Hatchback

5,115

Your CV joints are at the wheel end of the axel shafts. They are covered with a neoprene boot to keep the lube in them. If the boot tears or fails then the lube gets out and the CV joint goes bad.

Should I get a new axle or do I need just a CV joint & boot?

5,115

Go to a reputable parts house and buy a rebuilt axel. It comes with the axel and cv joint. just bolt it in.