What could be the problem?

Asked by Feb 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM about the 1994 Nissan Sentra Limited Coupe (1994.5)

I have a 94 Nissan Sentra LE while driving the car will start acting like its running out of gas i can push the gas pedal to the floor but it dont help usuall it will just go back to running normal but sometimes i will die. Also sometimes it wont crank or I have to put it in neutral or jump it off

38,165

Is your battery over 5 years old? It may be time for a new one. If it's not a sealed battery, pull the caps off and check to see if the cells have water. If they are low, take distilled water and fill them to just under the plastic lip. If you have a maintenance free battery, (sealed) it may be time for a new one. You may also want to check and see if your alternator is working properly. Take a volt meter and put it on the output side of the alternator. If you are not getting at least 14 volts, then it's time for a new one. A low battery will make your car die. The issue with the car feeling as though it's running out of gas may be due to a bad or dirty Idle Air Control valve or a bad Throttle Position Sensor. If you plan on fixing yourself, let me know I will find some videos that you can watch on how to fix the problem.

yes the battery is old i figured i needed a new one. I was thinking I might need a new fuel pump and/or filter ive ran out of gas twice(my gauge dont work) and it set awhile before i bought it so i was thinking maybe trash in the filter or a whole new pump

38,165

At the very least I would replace the battery, and you should try and clean your Idle Air Control valve. That won't cost you anything. A new pump will. Go to Youtube and type in Idle Air Control valve cleaning and several "how to" videos will come up. Good luck!