Overheating

Asked by Jun 15, 2017 at 05:49 PM about the 1994 Nissan Pickup 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

I have a 1994 Nissan pick up truck. I have changed
the radiator and thermostat. It's still overheating.
Can I just take the thermostat out  to see if it will
still overheat???

26,525

HAVE TO ASK..IS THE THERMOSTATE IN RIGHT..NOT UPSIDE DOWN...YOU NEED THE THERMOSTATE FOR THIS 1 GOOD REASON..NOT ONLY DOES IT ALLOW THE COOLANT TO COME UP TO RUNNING TEMP, QUICKER...IT KEEPS THE WATER IN THE RADIATOR LONGER FOR THE CHANCE TO COOL IT DOWN MORE... IM QUESSING THE FANS UP AND WORKING OK... WHEN IT GETS HOT AGAIN LOOK AT BOTH RAD.HOSES...IS ONE OF THEM SUCKING CLOSED????? ALSO IS IT IN TURE?? RETARTED TIMMING SHOUL BE ADVANCED A FEW DEGREES...THE WATER MUST BE CLEAN RIGHT..DID YOU GET ALL THE AIR OUT OF THE SYSTEM ?? A TRICK IS TO DRILL 2-3 HOLE IN THE THERMOSTATE AS SHOWN...ADD A BOTTLE OR 2 OF *WATTER WETTER** TO THE COOLING WATER... I RUN 3/4 WATER AND 1/4 ANTI FREEZE/COOLANT IN ALL MY STUFF...COOLS BETTER THAN ALL ANTI FREEZE OR EVEN 50-50...IF ALL ELSE IS OK...TAKE IT TO AN EMISSION SHOP/STATION/REPAIR SHOP...AND WITH THE RAD.CAP OFF AND ENGINE RUNNING HAVE THEM PUT THE PROB/SNIFFER CLOSE TO THE RAD WATER AND SEE IF IT PICKS UP ANY CO/HC...LETS HOPE NOT...K

50

Another thing you need to check is the water pump never never never run well water in a water pump it will eat the cooling Fins Up So if all this other stuff is good with this other guy has told you your water pump maybe bad you need to check that

50

Also you said you were going to take the thermostat out that would be fine in the summertime cuz you don't need heat if it continues to run hot with the thermostat out then you definitely got a problem somewhere else

69,295

You can take the thermostat out for testing purposes but Kelly is spot on. You definitely should not leave it out. HTH. -Jim