Engine noise on new Accord Hybrid

30

Asked by Guru9D315H Nov 20, 2020 at 10:01 AM about the 2020 Honda Accord 2.0T EX-L FWD

Hello

I recently purchased a new 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid.  I have noticed a
pretty loud humming noise coming from the left front side of the car when I
am driving between 50 and 55mph. It gets loud for 5 - 10 seconds then goes
away and repeats when I am in that mph range. It also looks like the battery
is charging at this time as well.

The dealer service shop said this is normal, but I did not hear this when I test
drove the car.  Is this normal?  If not, any idea what it could be or how to get
it fixed if the service department says it is normal?

10

I have the same exact car, and same exact issue. I am looking for an answer myself, and came across this possible cause: "The only notable change for the 2020 Honda Accord is an updated Acoustic Vehicle Alert System, which is the monotone hum the car makes when it’s cruising in EV mode. This dull humming sound helps inattentive pedestrians and vision-impaired people, who would otherwise rely on the noise from an engine, know there is a car coming toward them."

20

I have the exact same problem. It gets so loud sometimes that it is deafening and then will suddenly stop. My dealer service dept said Honda was unaware of the problem. The service tech drove another one on their lot and it did the same thing but started at a slower speed. Mine is 52-54 mph. Honda says since they are unaware of a problem, there is no problem.

10

I purchased a hybrid ex-l last week and have the exact same issue. It happens when crusing between 50-55 mph. Dealer fixed something with ANC but hasn't helped yet. Will be taking to the dealer again. Pls update if anyone is able to find a fix for this. Its pretty annoying.

10

My 2020 hybrid does the same thing between 50-55 mph. Car now has 3,500 miles on it and the frequency of the sound seems to be increasing, Seems to be coming from the left front side of the vehicle.

30

After doing some digging, it seems this noise is related to the noise cancelling system and goes away if you crack a window as that shots the ANC off. That being said, Honda does not seem to have a fix for the problem.

20

Hi, My 2020 Accord Hybrid Touring does the exact same thing and you are all experiencing. The other day, the humming was almost deafening. Had never been that loud before. Unfortunately it doesn't happen every time I reach 53 MPH but enough to be a nuisance. I was told by my Honda service advisor (when I went in for the 2 recalls) that he was aware of it, but since Honda has not issued any kind of service bulletin there was nothing that he could do about it. He recommended that I call Honda America (800 999-1009) and register this issue with him. So in my opinion, I was doing his job, but called them and put it on record. I mentioned that I had seen this thread and another where people with vehicles as old as 2018 had the same issue, so I find it difficult to believe that they have never heard about it. This is my first Honda, came over from a Chevy and I am not impressed so far.

10

I owned a 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid drove 55,000 miles and I never experienced this humming noise and I never had any problems with that car - drive like a charm. Then I traded it in for a new 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid (same model) and the new one started around 2,500 miles to make this humming annoying noise. I realize right away that the sound is not normal because I repeat I never heard that while driving my 2018 Accord Hybrid. It’s definitely something different with my 2020 car.

I have the same issue. I have a 2020 Accord Hybrid Touring and get the loud noise at similar speeds as mentioned in the prior posts (48-53 mph). I have less than 1000 miles. Mine seems to happen more frequently going up and down rolling hills. It's a separate sound from the general engine noise of acceleration.

20

Call Honda Customer care at 800-999-1009. They will hear your complaint and start a case file. I called yesterday and a case representative called me today to discuss that plus several other issues I have with my Accord hybrid. Once you have a case rep you will talk to the same person every time you call. That is the good thing. She seemed genuinely concerned and indicated that she would do every thing possible to get a resolution. We will see what happens.