O/D off Light

85

Asked by Jul 22, 2008 at 08:11 PM about the 1996 Ford Contour 4 Dr GL Sedan

My overdrive off light is blinking and the car shifts into nuetral every 2-3 minutes without moving the gearshifter (automatice BTW) and i dont know what it is, can anybody help?

20

first check the fluid if ur low it could cause that. if not u might get lucky and it be just a valve body, if still not that ur gonna either need a unit or overhaul.

9,435

Being a '96, your car should be equipped with an electronically controlled transmission. You might be experiencing a shift solenoid malfunction, or maybe just a simple transmission sensor malfunction (there should only be like 3 or 4). I doubt a bad valve body would would trip the o/d light, but anything is possible. Best of luck.

35

The transmission my going. Because that happened to my chrysler-they are notorious for that- but that might be happening to your ford because if it slips like that then that can be the problem. Also something might be wrong with the over drive also.

205

The OD lite flashes when the PCM (computer) detects a fault with the transmission there is a data link connector undre your dash U can hook up a scan tool to retrieve thje codes. which ever gear it neutral outs in you will more than likely have a gear ratio code for depending on milage of the car in my opinion you should be looking for a new trans or car.

10

could just be ur linkage from ur shift lever