I have a gas leak. Where is it?

Asked by Sep 06, 2012 at 04:34 AM about the 1995 Nissan 300ZX 2 Dr STD Convertible

I took the car to an old fashioned mechanic to inspect the underside of the area where the fuel tank/engine were
located.  We found evidence of leakage coming from above under the gas tank.  I paid him 50 dollars.  Then I
inspected the area around the fuel pump and level sensor and it was dry with no indication of leakage.  There is no  
evidence of a leak from around the engine from above.  The smell of gas is much stronger with a full tank.  It nearly
disappears when the tank is below 1/4.  WTF!!!

275,145

So it does sound like it is leaking at the top of the gas tank, as eveidence of it only smells when the tank is full. You might have to drop the fuel tank to see if there is a crack or a gasket is bad. Also check the area where the filler neck connects into the tank.

I forgot to mention; when I unscrew the fuel cap, there is a definite vacuum in the tank even after sitting for a day. Also, when the tank is full, the smell is pervasive while parked.

the vacuum is ok the fuel system runs on a pressurized system i had asked the same question on 300zxclub.com

So where is the leak? I now suspect some kind of vent with either a defective check valve or a disconnected hose. There seems to be no access to the filler vent without removing the tank which would cost more than the blue book value of the car. The car looks well worn, but it drives like it was new. Using only Castrol Syntec for the life of the car, it uses no oil and runs like a champ. I hate to have to dump it for a probable simple fix, but the gas fumes have become intolerable and perhaps dangerous.

105

never heard of anything like that. i had a 90 and i know its hell to get a tank out of that car. best of luck

255

tighten all the fuel line clamps under the hood they work lose in cold weather for some reason but do it now the car can catch fire