Brake lights

Asked by Feb 15, 2007 at 09:12 PM about the 1996 Nissan Pickup 2 Dr XE Standard Cab SB

Both of my brake lights suddenly have stopped working and I have no idea why.  I have replaced both bulbs and checked the fuses.  What could be wrong?

16,945

Hello, I would recommend checking the relay and all wiring. Best of luck! CarGrrl

16,945

Hello, I checked into this a little more. This may be a problem with the hazard flasher switch on top of the steering column. Try spraying WD 40 around the switch, push it down and let it pop up several times, then wiggle it a bit to further loosen it. Dirt and grime can build up on these, causing the button to stick. Best of luck! CarGrrl

65

There was a recall for this issue on my '95 PU. You might check if it applies to you. They replaced the entire rear brakelight assemblies, if I recall.

20

there is a button that your brake pedal pushes in to shut lights off it could be the relay there

455

has anyone ever thought of checking the power and ground going to the lights? is it only the brake lights that dont work or the driving and blinkers work fine?

45

its the socket the bulbs go in to, you need to mess with it or buy another

25

i had the same problem with my 94 xe 2wd extended cab if you look under the rear of the bed there is a grey plug that comes from the front to the rear it contains all of you conections for the breake lights turn signals ect. chances are that the conection for the brake lights in the plug have gone bad at least that was what the case was with my truck. i fixed the issue by finding the wire that controls the brake lights and cut it on both sides of the plug and then reconect them with a but conetor. since you would be bypassing the plug that is conecting the line directly and should fix your problem

65

So dont know if you have but, check underneath the dash where the brakelight switch is most of the time theres a little rubber plug that goes in between the brake light switch and the mount. it falls out, or comes apart resulting in the brake lights not working. hope it helps

150

bob I have a Nissan pickup 1997 the turning lights and headlights work but no tail or brake lights the bulbs and fuses are o.k. I need advice on whatto do

150

please help me I need taillights badly I changed all the fuses and bulbs but I am stuck there