Wiring problems?

Asked by Nov 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM about the 1997 Nissan Pickup 2 Dr XE 4WD Standard Cab SB

97 NIssn has working headlights, dome lights, brake lights and interior lights and the truck dings only if the key are in the ignition. My dash light, 4 ways, turn signals don't work and it won't ding when the lights are left on after shitting off the truck.

I bet if you tested the chassis ground it would be less than 11.5 volts...you've got a reduced voltage situation because of a faulty ground...follow the black battery cable to the (non-clamp) side...or the lug end, which is attached to the chassis...disassemble and wirebrush the lug and chassis to allow full 300 cold cranking amps with your NEW battery...yes you'll be getting a new battery if yours is older than five~

Thanks, do you have a diagram or picture just so I make sure what you mean to disassemble (I have a 2yr old battery)

I went to the Nissan dealership yesterday - very ignorant and unprofessional, then I stopped by my mechanics garage - he didn't help either, just told me that it was going to be a lot of work to fix it and that I'd have to take it to the Nissan dealer...ya, right. I did get wiring diagrams from the mechanic that replaced my clutch (my 18 yr old son killed it). Thanks again!

Had the same problem (fusible link) there are 2 connections, the one with a black and green wire is your culprit Ill bet on it. Mine had shorted the black (ground), anyways they don't sell that party and most plaza will try and sell you a whole new harness. What I did was disconnect the broken one brought it to Napa and bought the same gauge wire, removed, replaced, solders and electrical tape. Connected it back up and walla I had working dash, lights signals everything. Hope this helps anyone

Oh and I forgot to mention, check the insulator on the+ terminal on your alternator. Mine cracked when I installed the new one from over tighten the nut, it's what caused the fusible to short out in the first place . I find it funny how something so small can cause so many problems