wont start after rollover accident

Asked by Aug 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM about the 1997 Nissan Pathfinder 4 Dr LE SUV

turns over and tries to run but sort of chugs for a few seconds then stops.  turns manually at the crank.  left upside down over-night before towing.  new plugs, wires, distributor, cap, and rotor.

90,495

Did you clean the oil out of the cylinders when you replaced the plugs? Change the oil and filter? Make sure the transmission is full, fluid can leak out of the breather tube and same with the differentials. Make sure the exhaust isn't crushed any where, it won't run if it can't breath. Replace the fuel filter who knows how much crud got stirred up in the tank.

195

U getting fuel in there? Does oil pressure gauge read anything?

Thanks very much! I took the intake manifold off and tried to clean everything including cylinders. Oil and filter changed and will change fuel filter next and check oil pressure--pretty sure its good. I am concerned about fouled injectors and not sure how to check fuel delivery but they may be a valve on the rails. I'm also going to check for spark but I think it is fuel or a PVC valve or something like that. I'm wondering what all I should replace and what order after the fuel filter if that does not work and without spending too much. this was my son's pathfinder and should go another 100k after replacing much of the old typical things that break including engine and suspension before he rolled it. All depends on if engine can run. Thanks again!

195

Spark + fuel + air = fire Keep it simple

If still not starting on fuel step and after filter change would you try to take out fuel injectors to attempt cleaning?? Or just replace on 120k 3.3L engine? Major pain to get down to taking off fuel rails injectors. If no rail pressure check valve, how do I know if fuel pump is bad or if fuel is reaching combustion chambers. New plugs quickly became black with "soot" due to burning off oil but no signif fuel smell as in flooding despite full pedal to the floor attempts to start. Seems to want to start and chugs with full throttle attempts but no flooding smell. Thanks!!!

195

Firstly, It wont start with throttle fully pressed, throttle position sensor tells computer to turn off spark if fully open. 2nd, open ur gas cap and listen for pump. If you cant hear anything ( buzzing ) its not pumping fuel. Use test light to confirm power at fuel pump. Dont forget ground side too... 3rd black soot on spark plugs means way to rich 4th buy a fuel pressure tester, fuel raill on 3.3 has a shreddar valve ( like a tire valve stem ) that u can thread into and check fuel pressure. Should be at least 60 psi key on, 45 psi engine running. 5th check every spark plug, if only one is sooty you have a stuck open injector dumping fuel 6th fuel pressure regulator may be broken, 7th i saved this for last, call dealer and ask them if you have an inertia switch and where its located, Its a safety switch that turns off fuel incase you roll over. Stops vehicle from burning. Theyre ussually just a button you press closing the circuit. Let me know bro L8

Bad Distributor