I have a 1998 Nissan Sentra and I recently cleaned out the carburetor using a spray cleaner. Inside the throttle body it was filthy. After I finished cleaning in and ran the car for a couple of miles and then stopped. When I restarted the car it seems as if the it's idling way too fast, what could I have done to change it?

Asked by Feb 21, 2014 at 02:02 PM about the 1998 Nissan Sentra SE

As I said I had cleaned the carburetor on my 1998 Nissan Sentra. When I finished cleaning it, I took it for a ride and came home. The next time I started the car it was idling way too fast. What could I have done to change the idling speed?

1,465

Sentra 1998 doesn't have a carburetor, it has in injection engine. Did you unplug the air flow and sprayed cleaner inside the throttle body? You have to use throttle body cleaner when you do that. Otherwise you might damage a sensor.

Thanks for your help, but I have a question if you don't mind and that's wouldn't an injection engine have fuel injector's?

4,875

He's right. a 98 sentra is fuel injected. May have to bring to dealer to do an idle air re-learn.

A 1998 Nissan Sentra is not fuel injected as I just changed the plugs two days ago.

1,465

Fuel injected engines do have spark plugs too.

To all those who I have questioned, I apologize for my ignorance.

4,875

Is your car running better now??

No it's not. I can't really afford to take it to a dealer right now as you suggested so I'm at a loss as to what I can do here at home. I'm not sure if you've read my apology, but if you haven't as I said I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks.

1,465

Like Robert said, it may need to re-learn. Unplug your battery for 10 minutes, then replug it. It should reset the ecu to its initial values. There are other ways to do it like with a scan tool or with an obscure pattern of key, pedal and ignition that you can obtain from the dealer or on the internet.

Best Answer

I'll try what you've suggested. Thank you for your help

1,465

Did it solve the issue?

L_R, I'm sorry I haven't answered your suggestion yet. I have had an unexpected trip to the hospital and haven't been able to try your suggestion yet, but I do plan to this weekend. I will let you know if it does solve my problem. Thanks again