i discovered that i have a blown head gasket on my 96 ford areostar 4.0 v6

garychizmar
0

Asked by Oct 01, 2013 at 10:52 AM about the 1996 Ford Aerostar 3 Dr XLT AWD Passenger Van Extended

i used an additive call k-seal to try and repair it as a last resort to keep from pulling the
head  can anyone tell me how well it will work or give me any suggestions to help with this

20,675

those additives won't work (for long anyway). Sorry but there's really no work-around for a blown head gasket. Time to evaluate the worth of the vehicle. It'll cost around $800 to $1K to have the head gaskets replaced (You really should do both). It's a difficult and long-winded job - everything has to be put back together the same way you took it apart - almost exactly.

20,675

Around $300 if you do it yourself

73,735

Tracy is correct about the sealers, another thing about them is they also plug up other stuff too like radiators, heater cores, small coolant passages in the engine, so you really open up a can of worms when you use that stuff. When it comes to these rigs I've found it easier to remove the engine and trans as a unit right out of the bottom of the vehicle, I designed a little table that really helped to do that kind of work, so I sure if I did these rigs like this someone else has done it too.

Duane429
0

I had a 1996 Aerostar 4.0 liter engine with the same leaking head gasket issue. I used Barsleaks Radiator Stop Leak and it was effective for 10 years and 75,000 miles. After that, the heads cracked and the engine had to be replaced.

Duane429
0

I was in an accident and totaled my 1996 Ford Aerostar which required an engine replacement due to leaking head gasket and cracked heads. Just purchased a 1997 Ford Aerostar with the 4.0 liter engine. Guess what? The head gasket on this engine also leaks antifreeze down the block. Looks like Ford designed another poor quality engine which is prone to failure.

73,735

That is just the way it is, back in the old days it was rare that you ever saw a blown head gasket, now days it happens all the time, I don't think that there's a make or model that doesn't suffer this problem eventually.

aerohead
0

Seems like the 4.0 liter engine had those troubles at least for some years I would like to know if Ford ever corrected them (besides good or bad maintenance).