I have a 97 Thunderbird, When I turn on the car it will turn and there seems to be a screeching sound. And then it won't turn on. However it will turn on after I turn the key 2-4 times. Once it's on it runs awesome, it's just the start up that sounds bad. The starter has already been replaced so I don't think that's the problem, but again I'm not a mechanic so I can't say for sure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Nov 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM about the 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX

I have a 97 Thunderbird, When I turn on the car it will turn and there seems to be a
screeching sound. And then it won't turn on. However it will turn on after I turn the key 2-4
times. Once it's on it runs awesome, it's just the start up that sounds bad. The starter has
already been replaced  so I don't think that's the problem, but again I'm not a mechanic so
I can't say for sure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

61,395

First thing,would be to check your battery,meaning load test it,and if you are sure the starter is good,then check your ignition switch.

4,805

Are you sure the starter was installed correctly? Maybe it is cocked slightly, not tightened enough or some such thing causing it to drag. The fact that the battery cranks it several times I wouldn't think that was the problem. The battery would get worse each time you try to crank it.