I think I have a fuel leak and need advise.

Asked by Oct 03, 2014 at 11:53 AM about the 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX

I have been smelling fuel when running the car, i have been noticing wet patches on
the ground where the car is parked, and I have been going through more gas than
usual. Yesterday, after putting gas in the car, I drove approximately 1 mile and the car
stalled out... I have not been able to get it started again. It acts like it is not getting gas.
I am needing to know what I can do or if you think it maight be a leak or a pump and
which pump I would need if it is the pump.

33,835

Hard to tell from here but I'm going to guess that you have a leaking fuel line and the gas can't get to the engine now. Potentially dangerous. Use extreme caution.

This is a picture of a car that is exactly like mine...it is an LX sedan

@Boho|Mark so how would I go about fixing it?

33,835

It's not going to be easy without a lift. Look for the spot where you see the gas that has leaked out. Start there but it's a PIA job without a lift. Oh and no one is to use an open flame within 25 feet of it on till you get it fixed.

@Boho|Mark if it is the pump and not a leak is it better to replace just the pump or use the complete pump kit, or just replace everything? i am very short of funds so your help is appreciated

237,715

Pump is in the fuel tank, sounds like a fuel hose has a leak, unless the leak is in the tank itself or you burned up the fuel pump. Have it looked at.

thank you guys

5,095

!. ANY FUEL LEAK IS VERY DANGEROUS... FIND AND FIX IT FAST. You say you can see a spot under the car. When I am checking for any kind of leak, I place newspaper on the garage floor and drive the car over it. Mark the bottom center of the tires so you have a locater point. Let it sit for awhile and then drive off and look where leak is. You can tell a lot about the leak by the color of it. Fuel will not really leave a color on newsprint. regardless, when you figure where the leak is, using your marks from the tire, measure back (or forward) to the spot on the paper. Get under the car at that point and you should be able to find the leak.

Best Answer