I have 97' Thunderbird which had a instrument cluster with a Tach,speedo,temp and fuel gauge in it.I replaced it with one that has all four gauges (temp,oil,fuel,volts) and since i have done this everything works except the odometer and trip meter.Speedo works just fine but no odometer.I even took another speedo out of another instrument cluster and it doesn't work either.I have ran out of ideas to fix this.Can you help me? Kevin

5

Asked by Jan 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM about the 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX

22,465

did it work before replacement? something has to measure distance,like a pickup on the trans tail to record rpm of final drive [ex guess]

5

Yes it did with the other instrument cluster that didnt have the oil pressure and volt meter.And like i said the speedo works and its accurate.I have tried two different speedo's with the same results.No odometer or trip meter,which i know they work together.But that what is frustating is that why is the speedo working? lol

22,465

only thing i know is id study the rear circut boards side by side and look for differences ,or it may be [like suprise you ain;t a changing the miles on this one from FO M CO

5

Well i have done that.I have the wiring diagrams for both,the one i took out and the new one i put in.I know what all the pin connectors are for,meaning the wire color and where they come from.The speedo head on the new one has 3 terminals on it.One is signal,one is battery + and the other is ground.And with the speedo working then the odomter should to! I am trying to figure out if the PSOM is built into the back of the new one and if the old one is the same.

5

Oh and you could buy a brand new one i bet it would work!