97 T-Bird Bogs on accelerating

Asked by Jul 06, 2011 at 02:29 PM about the 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX

Starts fine, runs rough. Replaced plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, cleared codes and reset computer. Nothing is working. Takes off okay at first start then after driving for a bit it bogs when accelerating. If I step on it it doesn't stall but thinks for a minute and then takes off. If I pull over and restart it fixes the issue again for a while. Ideas? Oxygen sensor, computer? Help.

355

air flow meter, (mass) got this trouble on my 96 3.8 t-bird ;)

replace the fuel filter run a bottle of fuelinjection cleaner in a tank of gas.sea fome is best.

45

v8 or v6?? i have a 95 with the 4.6l v8 and that motor is known for the egr tube plugging or blowing excess carbon into the intake.. only fix i have found is by pulling the intake off and fully cleaning everything. i have done it twice now and the car runs like a champ.

70

Tony, I have a 95' Thunderbird, 4.6L and it keeps throwing a code for the EGR valve. Obviously as you know, it is a bear to get to the valve. I have heard about the carbon issue and not even meaning it is a bad EGR valve, as they rarely go bad. What is the easiest/best way to get back there and clean?

150

Just tackled this exact EGR problem, the 2 tubes coming off the EGR pipe and going to the DPFE sensor were clogged......no flow at all! Took me 4 hours to get that tube out and clean it......problem solved! Here's a few tips. 1) take the hoses off the DPFE sensor and blow into them, this will tell you if you have a clogged tube (smaller tubes branch off the main EGR tube) if you can't blow through them you need to start there. 2) apply vacuum to egr and see if engine stumbles, if there no change remove tube and egr and clean both.....may need to replace egr. 3) if tubes are clear.....can blow through them......and engine stumbles when applying vacuum to egr then you have a bad DPFE sensor! Most common fix for this trouble code is bad DPFE or clogged tubes or both, egr usually won't go bad! Trust me I just did all of this. Good luck