Air Silencer

165

Asked by Jul 24, 2008 at 11:35 PM about the 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX

Where is the air silencer? How to i take it out? And should i take it out?

45

if you open up the air box and take out the filter, there should be like 3 bolts on the bottom just unbolt these, and crawl under the car and wiggle that thing out, you may have to unscrew the bumper from the wheel well to get it out. and you should absolutely take it out.

all is right above,except one thing,you will have to drop the finder well turn your wheels to the right to get it out is a big bug to get out,when out you will need 3 nuts,bolts and lock washers to bolt down the air box,leave finder well down put bolts in first,is a pia job it will give you at least 5 more hp.check out my garage,did it to all mine.

165

Ok but I already installed the K&N cone filter so would it make a differance now? Sorry I forgot to mention this.

no,just leave it on.

take it out. Doesnt hurt it and im not sure if it helps it but on my Sport Trac it opens the hole in the air box like an 1".

165

Yeah but i dont have the factory air box....i got a K&N cone filter. I dont think it will do any goo now plus I had to use it to mount the K&N but thanks for the input.

25

dude if you put the air filter in there take the top of the air box off and leave it you wont gain that much more buy taking the bottom of the box off it is a pain in the ass