PCV Valve

165

Asked by Jul 17, 2008 at 11:50 PM about the 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX

I am wondering what would a bad PCV valve do? My car had a Check Engine light on and when i changed the air filter it went off. I had it checked when it was on and my mechanic said it was some sort of emissions valve?? He said it could be fixed but he would have to take some parts off to get to it?? If it was busted would it cause a rattle at idle that you can only hear with the hood open (my cars symptoms) or something else?? I hear if its the PCV than thats not good so if its broke i want it fixed!!!!

135

your pcv valve leads into your valve covers...it sucks the bad fumes out of the oil you simple just pull on it and take it out but leave it connected to the hose....now as your motor is runnin put your finger on the bottom of the pcv valve and see if its got good sucction if its not suckin your finger into it then its bad and you just go get another their between 3 and 7 dollars at an auto parts store

your mechanic is going after your wallet,do the above,pcv positive crankcase ventalation,wotks off vacume from intake like said above,if no vac just replace.if you dont know where it is on passenger side back of valve cover,pull it out may need plyers but be careful top is made of plastic.put a little grease on new one or around ruber gromlet so it will go in easely hook hose back up,done.

235

check for a working EGR valve vac hose connection. there are two lines if im not mistaken from the air cleaner, one to pcv(make sure it rattles an d one line to egr. the valve pcv is worth like 5 bucks. the erg vavle is worth hundreds