Door Drop

165

Asked by Jul 07, 2008 at 01:31 AM about the 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX

When you open the drivers door it dips or drops about 2 or 3 inches. I had this fixed at the body shop along with the door handle but of course the did a bad job and the dip returned. How do i fix this its driving me crazy!!

9,935

Chances are it is being caused by bad bushings and/or hinge pin in the door hinge. I would check with your local auto parts store to see if the bushings/hinge pin are available or if just the hinge. Both are fairly easy to install on most models. Very important to service one hinge at a time.

go to your local auto store ,get a set of pins.install,put a floor jack with a rag folded up on jack place at rear of door jack up to door,knock out top pin first,grt top holes lined up with jack ,dont jack to much dont want pressure on door replace pin,will have to knock out with a hammer,put back in with hammer.i doubt the bottom pin is bad,check out my garage go down to 89-94 supercoupe click on look at picts click under all picts one will take up whole page click the black car picts.you will see i know about t-birds.enjoy the picts.to get their click on my avaitor-pic on left of answer,