2000 Nisan Quest , catalytic sensor shows bad at smog test , check engine light went on for a week , added cleaner and went off ... Fresh tank of gas run through ... sensor still showing bad ,,,

Asked by Jul 07, 2016 at 06:22 PM about the 2000 Nissan Quest GXE

Check engine light went off with injector cleaner and  Pass Smog Cleaner...

Catalytic Sensor shows bad at smog test ... Car had passed smog test
4 months ago ... Runs great with 138 K Miles .

Can this sensor be changed ?

I just looked up a sensor for catalytic converter and all I am finding is a Oxygen Sensor ...for 2000 Nissan Quest GXE... Price varies from $18 to over $100 for part ... Don I need a repair manual too ..

If the check engine light went out on it's own, chances are the catalytic converter is good. I've see situations where a code P0420 (bad converter) is triggered, the computer is cleared, and the code doesn't come back. What's going on here is the downstream oxygen sensor monitors the catalytic converter performance. Nothing else. If the computer sees too much fluctuations in the signal from this oxygen sensor, the code and check engine light are both triggered. Most likely the reason you failed the smog test is because the code is still in the computer. It will stay in there for the next 60 times you start the engine. My suggestion is using a hand held scan tool, clear the computer. Then drive normally for a few days with the gas tank between 1/4 and 3/4 full. No more and no less. This will allow all the diagnostics to run and all the readiness monitors to set so that you will pass the smog test. Since your Nissan is a 2000 model it will pass with 1, but only 1, readiness monitor not set. Doesn't matter which one. Just as long as all the others are set you'll be good to go. Now if the check engine light does come back on and the catalytic converter trouble code re-appears you'll need a new converter. HTH. -Jim

Thanx Jim ... I have not failed Smog Test Yet ... The guy I use checked the car with a Hand Held OD2 and the Catalytic Sensor was not reset I guess ... The Check Eng Lite had gone out after a few days of Injector Cleaner , then I added the Garunty to Pass smog cleaner ... then I filled a new tank of gas and ran it ... We just checked it today and that sensor still has not reset ... No light is on ...I have a full tank of gas ... My Plates are good till October so I will go slow on this ... I guess it is called an Oxygen Sensor ? Big Price Difference ...for it . Don

Hi Don, the computer won't run the diagnostic test on the catalytic converter until the gas gauge drops to the 3/4 mark. The computer won't run the diagnostic test on the catalytic converter with more than 3/4 of a tank of gas or less than 1/4 of a tank. When I replaced the catalytic converter on my '00 Grand Prix 2 years ago I purposely did it when the gas tank was at about the 1/2 mark. That way after I had cleared the computer the catalytic converter test would run right away. Just drive normally and when the gas gauge drops to the 1/4 mark, scan the computer again and check the readiness monitors. Most likely all but perhaps the EVAP system monitor will be set. That one is a bugger to set! The downstream oxygen sensor (monitors the catalytic converter) will be around $50 to $75 off the top of my head. HTH. --Jim

Thanx Again Jim , I will wait till tank drops to 1/4 tank ... Then have My smog test guy check it with his hand held OD2 tester .... I will ask him if he can get it out of computer ... He is a rest only station ... No work on cars . In the old days I did all my own work , even built a engine . I miss the Old Days . Don

You're welcome, Don. If in the meantime the check engine light comes back on, especially if it's exactly when the gas gauge hits the 3/4 mark, it'll probably be that converter. But let's hope not. When my '00 Grand Prix threw that (P0420) converter code I cleared it and filled up the gas tank with premium hoping it would help. As soon as the gas gauge hit the 3/4 mark, BING, the check engine light was back on. My scan tool confirmed my suspicions. It was the converter. If you do wind up having to replace the converter a universal one should work just fine. I've had one on the Grand Prix since December of 2013 with no issues. Just make sure to check the emissions decal under the hood. If it says "Confirms to California Emissions Standards" or "is C.A.R.B. compliant" you have California emissions and you'll need a converter that's C.A.R.B. compliant. Even if you live outside of California you may still have California Emissions. My '03 S-10 Pick Up does and was originally delivered to Delaware. Also, my '00 Grand Prix does and was originally delivered to New Jersey. But again, let's hope it was a false alarm!! HTH. -Jim