location of fuel pump relay on 2000 nissan frontier 4x2 (rear drive) standard cab

Asked by Oct 25, 2013 at 01:24 AM about the 2000 Nissan Frontier 2 Dr XE Standard Cab SB

replaced cap /rotor plugs and wires can't hear fuel pump come on checked fuses in cab all good checked fusible link and fuses all seams good can't get fuel filter out using PB Blaster to try and get screws holding fuel filter in place , put some gas in carburetor tries to start but dies

The fuel filter is the most likely cause, and the cheapest. I could not hear my fuel pump either as it is mounted remotely at the bottom of the tank. Major pain to replace, did it twice, was the filter.

Thank you will try to get fuel filter off later today. I will let you know after I get it done I will cut bolt holding filter clamp if I have to.

By the way my fuel pump relay is above the emergency brake handle under the dash. mine is a 2001. When you first turn on the key you should here it click on for a few seconds.

Thanks Just checked it out it clicks on then off.I am having trouble getting the tubing off the fuel filter seams that the previous owner spliced the tubing on the input side with a piece of metal tubing and the clamp that holds the filter in place was removed making it hard to get off I just put some lubricant on the exposed filter nipple and will let it sit overnight.will go to hardware store and either get some sheet metal and make a new clamp.

Well Changed Fuel filter took off air cleaner an put some gas down cranked over It started and died tried several times ran a bit and died I guess I have to find some place to get the fuel pump replaced. By the way when I removed the filter gas just dribbled out of the fuel line and filter.

Sorry to hear that it was not the cheap fix. There is a known problem with the fuel pump assembly, the fuel level float assembly which is also the top would lose conductivity between the connectors on the outside to the connections on the inside. The fuel pump is actually a separate part that plugs into the float assembly inside the tank. Be sure to test continuity through the top assembly, about $100, before replacing the fuel pump, about $200.

If you get the parts yourself the "O" ring gasket for the float assembly is sold separately. This is a DIY job but takes two people, I have done it without jacking the truck up. The problem on the fuel pump is that it is separate and is mounted in a splash box on the bottom of the tank, you can look at it through the hole or get your arm in to it but not both. Be sure to remove as much gas as you can from the tank before you try to drop the tank, we had to take the fuel fill assembly off the tank to get a siphon line in the tank, skinned a few knuckles doing it, the clamps were turned the wrong way. Good luck, did it once myself then paid about $550 to have a shop do it. Be sure to test the connection through the float assembly before buying the fuel pump.

1st I will find relay on a 1999 frontiere 4by4 truck 6 cyl, and listen for click, fuse is good,