Transmission

Asked by Sep 06, 2016 at 04:25 PM about the 1997 Ford Taurus SHO

The gear shift will shift. But the transmission
is not going into gear.

69,615

Should check and see if the linkage or shift cable is hooked up, may have come apart or the cable broke. If all is well there then there is a problem inside the trany. The trany pan would have to be dropped to investigate further. Now this is all due to if this is an automatic trany, if this is a manual then other things would have to be checked.

I checked fluid while warm and running...it's full with lucks and transmission fluid. I had somebody put it into gear for me. So I could see the shift cable. Go back and fourth to make sure it wasn't loose or disconnected. But I did notice...Today, after I put lucks into fuel injection cleaner in my gas tank. And capped it off on full. About a hour or so into the ride. I notice sit ting at the stop light. The started to idle a little funny. As if it wanted to take off. Even with foot on the brake. So I thought that was kinda weird. Not expecting for the transmission not to go into gear. But the shifter is working.....smh.

Lucas....I meant.

69,615

So I am a bit confused. (The started to idle a little funny. As if it wanted to take off. Even with foot on the brake.) So the trany is working? Did it just slip into gear?

The car started to idle funny.It started to do it after I put the fuel injection cleaner in the tank. About an hour or so after.But not sure if the tranny working or not.

69,615

Ok, more than likely it sounds like the engine may need a tune-up and a good going over. Adding the fuel injection cleaner sounds like crap is working threw, and if this is the case more than likely it has ben awhile since its last tune-up. Just so you know a tune-up is more than just replacing spark plugs and such. Sounds like the throttle body needs a good cleaning, and the engine gone over checking for vacuum leaks.