2000 Nissan Frontier, 3.3, v6 will crank but no start

Asked by Nov 23, 2014 at 06:59 PM about the 2000 Nissan Frontier 2 Dr SE 4WD Extended Cab SB

for a couple days, my truck was hard to start, but once it started, it ran fine, It got real bad and got it started and made it home before it died, now it wont start..I would turn the heater on and the motor would bog way down (dont know if this is part of the problem) I installed a ground wire from the firewall to the motor, checked the return fuel line and no fuel pressure so I replaced the fuel pump, filter..I made sure I was getting power to the fuel pump..(12.0 volts for 5 seconds and then nothing with the key in the on position) I think it shuts off if the ecm doesn't get a signal from the distributor, check distributor and its turning) I did all that and all it does is turn but no start, like it wants to start but not getting fuel but I replaced all that all still nothing..I'm stumped and cannot figure this out!

your fuel pump will only run for a few seconds when you turn on the key. it will run continuously only when the car is running. fuel pumps can be bad from new, so it wouldnt hurt to check the fuel pressure again. also, have your alternator and battery tested.

I had it towed to a mechanic friend and he's going to look at it in the morning..I'm just hoping its something stupid I overlooked, dunno if the battery and alternator would cause it not to start, has plenty of starting power, I'm thinking the fuel pump was trying to draw so much power to keep it running, it put a load on the alternator..im not a mechanic but Im running out of things to check

would really love it if you would post the final fix here! great info for someone else too. thanks,, Mike.

ok...still in the shop, couldn't read codes, there was a fuse called "CONT ENG IG" which had a dead short, had to get a factory service manual and traced that back to the O2 sensors (tot=4) disconnected those from the circuit and I was able to read codes(somewhat) It said "no codes stored" and I was reading RPM's cranking the engine and then it would quit reading them and then come back on..etc..the injector circuit is working..We are coming to the conclusion its a bad computer, the O2 sensor might have shorted to ground and took out the ecm..there are like 13 different types of computers for this year of truck and noone has it, dealer can get it for like $700..and I'm not even sure that's the problem..its been a great truck but I think I'm going to have to put Her to rest..going to look at a silverado tomorrow, cheap parts and easy to fix..Had Nissans for 18 years, time to move to something that's not going to cost a arm and leg to keep running..She made it to 235k miles