How do I turn off the service engine light on a 2001 Nissan Maxima. I already know the code but I want the light out. Thanks.

Asked by May 12, 2016 at 09:34 AM about the 2001 Nissan Maxima GLE

89,035

You have too fix the code, and reset the system before the light will go out.

Thanks for your help. I was really hoping there was another way as I have read multiple "short cuts" on the internet on how to rest the SES which did not require an immediate repair. The code indicates a possible O2 sensor or cat problem which will most likely be costly. The car runs great so I do not see the need to spend big $'s at this time. Just want the light to go away.

89,035

As long as there is a problem with the engine management there will be a light, if I runs good then chances are that it is the O2 sensors, but you need to find out if it is the upstream or downstream ones that are goin out. Or you could try running a bottle of SeaFoam in the fuel tank, it is possible they could just be dirty. HTH

45

you can unplug the battery for 10 minutes have an auto parts store clear it for free or a mechanic shop can do it for a small fee. if it keeps coming back on, there's a problem you have to fix to keep it off

I added some gas treatment to the tank to see if this would help remove the SES. Thought maybe the gas cap also was the problem. Unsure. Where do you get SeaFoam? I might want to try that too. If I do have to re[air anything I hope it is the O2 sensors versus the cat. Big difference in cost. Also, anyone know how to reset the sunroof? The battery was dead for quite a while so the car was not driven (6 months). I figure this is why the sunroof will not open or tilt since it worked prior. Thanks.

89,035

Most parts stores carry SeaFoam. If it sat that long you better look for rodent damage, they just love the insulation on the wiring, if they went through a ground wire for the O2 sensors that could be your whole problem. The sunroof could be a locked up motor, do you notice the dome light dim slightly when you push the roof button? if so then it is locked up, if not then there is an open in the circuit for the sunroof.

No rodent damage as car was protected during sitting. No dome light change when sunroof button is pushed. There has got to be a simple explanation for the sunroof but I cannot locate how to reset or check any type of relay or circuit breaker for it. Nothing in fuse box related to sunroof.

89,035

It is tied in with the power windows. You may have to pull down the panel and test the switch.

How do you pull down the panel without any damage?

89,035

Harbor freight has the little plastic pry bars that work really well.