truck wont start after pulling stumps

Asked by Apr 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM about the 1997 Ford Ranger XLT Standard Cab 4WD SB

my 97 ford ranger, v6, stopped after trying to pull a  big stump out.  I pushed it hard to get the stump free, I came to an abrupt stop.  I have reset the collision fuel reset switch (which did not seem tripped at all) yet it appears I am not getting any fuel.  it has electronic ignition so I don't know if the timing chain/belt slipped or stripped a bunch of teeth.

my last trick was to hold the throttle body open with a screwdriver and sprayed some starting fluid into the throttle body.  it seemed like it wanted to start, but I am reluctant to pour any significant amount of gas into it as the throttle body lies horizonally on top the engine.  If the problem is simply to replace the fuel cut-off switch, I don't want to catch the engine on fire.  Anyone able to help me solve my problem?  I have an automatic tranny and I have 180,000 miles on the truck.  yeah I know you chevy and dodge guys say its 179000 miles over its life, but seriously I need some help.  Thanks - Richard.dyke@comcast.net

Hey I am Toyota car but Ford truck man, all the way. 200,000 on mine. Did you just pull or give it a jerk? And if it is the inertia switch it can be re set not needed to replace Now if you were pulling pulling really taxing it the wheels would spin before you did engine damage, so not to worry. 3.0L? '97? If you don't know where the inertia switch is or how to re set it let us know

99,165

If it was getting spark and the timing chain was in the right place, the starting fluid should have fired it for a short time. Pouring gas in wouldn't produce any different result.

In the front passenger footwell by the kick panel is the switch it simply has a button to push...if you didn't know that. But it still depends on whether or not you just pulled or took a running start, a very bad idea...and tenspeed is on to something there. If it stalled after a sudden VERY sudden stop, even with an automatic, there could be trouble

68,585

Run a compression test. If all cylinders read low, your timing chain has jumped. HTH. -Jim

68,585

68,585

Oops, sorry about the double post. -Jim