Tach dead?

135

Asked by May 06, 2009 at 03:47 PM about the 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R

When I was driving home today, I looked down to see how fast i was going and I noticed that I was travelling at 65 mph but I was at 0 RPM. It really freaked me out because I thought I had stalled out again (because of the butterfly screws). I pulled off to the side of the highway and turned off my car. After turning it back on again, the Tach still read 0. Everything else works. The odo, fuel gauge, temp gauge, speedo...all work except the Tach....what happened/what do I need?

75

What year is your sentra?

135

2002 SE-R

75

I'm not sure if your model has problems with the ignition coil. Buy my 04, and lower models have problems with it. It melts, burns out and then the rpms either drop drastically or fluctuate, so you might want to check into that.

135

It runs fine. I just had the engine rebuilt because of the butterfly valves..that was 800 bucks. I just need to know if it's like a fuse or a sensor before i go to the dealership and waste more money pulling up a code.

75

Just take it to autozone for the code, its free.

15

Yea I heard those 2002 SE-Rs had a bunch of problems, I think they fixed a lot of it in 03. 02 was the first year of the SE-Rs with the 2.5L motor.

25

RPM signal is sent to the gauge cluster by the ECU, not the ignition coil. You could trace the ignition lead from the ecu to the cluster using a service manual to find the wire, although its possible the Tach in the cluster is broken.

435

Have the car scanned. If it gives the trouble code for the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft position sensor, have them replaced(they come in a set anyway so might as well do both). I had a similar issue one day (tach went dead on me for a couple of minutes) and before I knew it my car was bucking like crazy and stalling intermittently while the tach gauge jumped up and down at will, and the only way the car could work like I wanted to was by hammering it like I didn't have a care for it, LOL. I scanned it the following day and there it was; blown crankshaft position sensor. I replaced them and so far, no more issues..... What Brian said will also help given the fact that the car doesn't give any DTCs when you scan it.....hope you solve the issue soon. Be well....

15

Get the TSB parts. It comes with a crank and cam sensor. Replace those and you should be fine. The crank sensor sends the signal for tach. You ever been on b15sentra.net? That particular problem is old news. The pussy cat and the flutterbies too.

30

TACHOMETER QG18DE Models The tachometer indicates engine speed in revolutions per minute (rpm). ECM provides an engine speed signal to combination meter for tachometer with CAN communication line. Crank sensor provides RPM input to ECU.

5

2003 nissan sentra ser spec v 2.5 l speeddamater not working has no codes all clear