why did my car turn off while waiting for a green light?

Asked by Aug 01, 2013 at 08:43 AM about the 2003 Nissan Sentra GXE

I was waiting stopped at a red light and suddenly my car turned off.. it turned right on
again but I noticed that my rpm while having the car on drive and foot on bread the idle
rpm went below the 1 causing it to turn off.. does any one know why it did this? and is this a serious issue?

have you ever changed a filter? perhaps you are just in dire need of routine maintenance...then again your throttle position sensor could be worn...the idle air control isn't controlling and the Temp sensor and IAT sensors are false....get your diagnostic info from the parts store or purchase your own diagnostic scanner for around 20 bucks...look in your glovebox for prior maintenance to rest assured it does not need an oil filter and air filter changed now~

So it has nothing to do with transmission?

I had a recent oil change 2 mos ago? My air filter have not chnged recently

You know has to do with idle control...check the IAT sensor....vacuum lines to the fuel pressure regulator~

probably gonna burn lean if the computer defaults to "fail safe" intake air temperature....needs to know the right temperature for the intake temperature and prevailing conditions~

butyl rubber can crack and can take on oil and go soft...BMW uses only silicone vacuum lines...they are not cheap~

the fuel pressure regulator will NOT provide enough fuel to run smoothly and the vacuum leak created by it's failure will cause the car to have high- idle...you may want to verify this diaphragm is still working properly with a suction device~~

a worn out throttle position sensor will do exactly your complaint~...and they DO wear out~

apologies for "Beatin' you down" with so much information...if I were a betting man would start with the TPS...they do have a certain number of hours before they go bad~

10

So its not the airflow sensor?

30

My 2013 Sentra is doing the same thing but will drive just fine after a while. And then sometimes when I go to start my car it'll start fine but when I try to shift it to drive or reverse it shuts off.

10

Did you ever fix it? My car has been doing that lately.

30

So apparently it's a recall, I took my car to Nissan for them to fix it, they "fixed" it, 3 days later it did it again... Taking my car back to the dealership this morning.

10

My 2004 Nissan Sentra has been doing this also and just had ecm sensor replaced due to recall. Just got the car back a week ago and it's doing the same thing. Any suggestions?

My daughter has a 2007 Hyundai elantra her car has turned off 4 times when she stops on.a red light then starts right up Anyone car do this?

I notice that when I'm in a 'gear' higher than first, then press the brakes fairly hard when coming to a stop, the car downshifts back to 'first', the rpms do a 'jump' and then go all the way to zero, the engine stalling. I then see the oil sign, check engine soon, and one other - don't remember it right now. i tried using lucas, thinking it was a fuel or cylinder issue, but not so.

I have a Hyundai Accent 2006 and it shuts off when I'm coming to a stop or a red light Sometimes it takes a while to turn back on but other it turns on just fine I've been to a mechanic 5 times and spent hundreds of dollars and no one can figure out why