what is making my ranger not start,just click.cant be starter or battery i replaced both

Asked by May 13, 2012 at 08:28 AM about the 1997 Ford Ranger XL Standard Cab SB

my truck just makes one click when i turn ignition over.i have changed the starter and solenoid,changed
the neutral safety switch and the back up light switch and starter relay.still nothing but when battery is
disconnected and the positive cable is put back on my truck tries to start with ignition turned off

12,805

You either have a wiring issue or your ignition switch is bad. Does the ignition switch "feel" normal when you rotate it? Do all the accessories work normally with the switch? Try having the starter unmounted from engine and support it and try the ignition again. Watch to see if the starter spins and the solenoid engages. It is possible to have a new starter bad right out of the box. The issue of starter engaging when connecting the positive cable goes back to ignition switch or misplaced or wiring problem.

1,295

Do you have an alarm or a remote starter???

260

Sounds strange to say this. Had problems with 04 ranger. Replaced everything part by part and even paid to get theft device reset ($3000+ over time with labor) to get the single click sound again and again after it running then not. Was frustrated to the point to scraping it... simple dumbass problem. Turn the steering wheel straight and immediately cranks.

140

If the battery is fully charged and you try starting the truck and it only clicks the the starter relay is no good. If your looking from the front of your truck it will be located on the drivers side fender. It will have several wires going to it. I recommend you disconnect the negative cable from th battery and change the relay out.

120

My ranger will not start or shut off with the key why is that

260

I'm having a starter problem with my 03 Ranger. I also just turned my steering wheel a bit and it started right up. I know it's not my battery, alternator, starter, cables, or fuel pump. So, is it the ignition switch that's going bad?

70

I had the same problem tonight. Started to crank over and started then died. I tried to start it again and it only clicked. Then I read on here how turning the steering wheel worked. I tried it and started right up. Thanks. I have had problems with the radio not getting power for awhile now. I turn off the ignition switch and it works. I don't want to replace the switch, but will have to sometime I guess.

220

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger, I changed my starter and starter relay, got a new battery but it still wont start. the lights and radio work just fine. it does make a clicking noise any idea what may be wrong?

70

ignition switch

20

my 2003 ranger 2.3l 16v was running ok until I changed the alternator now will not even turn over. checked all connection and ok.

I turn the steering wheel and it started right up thanks for your help

10

I have a 99 ford ranger 3.0, I was driving it down the road and it quit never made a sound and now when I turn the key nothing happens my fuel pump dosnt come on,but I bridged out the solenoid and it turned over but won't crank

10

Same thing happened to me

10

Starting soleniod

my husband has a 03 ford ranger. Son was driving yesterday and he said just all the sudden the power went out and the truck started slowing down. He said it made no noise but he had lights and radio. Tried to start only to get 1 click. CHanged the starter and bought a new battery after we were told the battery had a dead cell. Still wont start. just 1 click any help would be appreciated.

On one of my vehicles with the same problem, it turned out to be a loose connection on the starter. Pulled the cables and it would start, I was lucky to find it. However, on my Ranger I'm gonna go with solonoid. Will let you know how it turns out.

I have a 2001 Ranger Manual Transmission. Starting has become increasingly difficult. To the point now that I have to slam the clutch in to get it to turn over. Even that is taking several tries. Any idea what would cause that?