What are the signs I would need Head Gasket repair

Pmanning
40

Asked by Feb 09, 2014 at 05:26 PM about the 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

I was told I needed head gasket repair a year ago what does that do and I didn't do it yet
have I ruined the car  how do I know I need this work done.

98,465

Are you loosing any coolant? Is it smoking white smoke? Is it driving normally? The answers to these question will help us figure out if the head gaskets are bad. Why did they say you needed them?

Best Answer
Pmanning
40

I did have a coolant leak my car was over heating but repaired and heater was not working

Pmanning
40

Also drives fine or normal no problems no white smoke

98,465

Ok so now you have heat and you are not loosing any coolant. Oh forgot to mention. What does your oil look like? Is it normal looking or does it look like a milkshake? If oil looks normal and car is not smoking or loosing any coolant then I would say you do not have a head gasket issue.

Mike Allen
110

I also have same thing going on my 2002 nissan altima 2.5 automatic, I have coolant in the #2 cyc, the car was giving to me, but oil looks good, its little black but no milky whatsoever, but i guess still have a blown head gasket?, what are my options and what should I do to have it back on the road without the issue again. It has 106k miles.

98,465

Coolant on plug? Time for head gasket. Sometimes they just go. But most times it is due to overheating.

aaaa11234
70

Had the same issue. there is a class action lawsuit against nissan for a defect in the engine that not only causes the head leak but also the catalytic converter failing resulting in the porcelean particles to be sucked back into the intake via the egr and initally sanding the engine down from the inside causing total engine failure. I took mine to a service shop for the cylinder head gasget issue and he thought he fixed the problem not knowing about the converter issue. within one week, my son complaiined he saw a puff of white smoke, then loss of power and engine died. I could not find anything wrong but a day or 2 later he called me and said he was fogging everyone behind him... had it towed to the service shop and they thought they missed something and assumed responsibilty for the mistake and put an engine in it no charge!!... my son ran it thinking it was ok and it started smoking again. towed again to the shop and ...total engine failure... nissan has screwed everyone and will not admit design flaw since it will kill them for a recall.

snowmann
40

We bought a 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 automatic in 2010. It had 95000 miles on it. We found there is no heat in winter. Later we fixed the heat problem by adding coolant periodically. In last four weeks, we started experiencing rough start problem. Now, we see smoke coming out of engine head when the engine just started. Guess that's the end of it. It has 145000 miles now.

gavilano
30

While car is cold check radiator fluid. and motor oil if any of those has a mayonnaise looking grease. head gasket is bad mixing coolant and oil. there is different combinations of (b.h.g) water vapor coming from exhaust, lost of power. 100% bad head gasket.>>note << little white grease in radiator, sometime car mix a little transmission oil. because trany oil cooling run thru radiator. diagnosed all fluids before a conclusion.. I hope this information helps....