2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8L hard to start

Asked by Jun 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM about the 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8

My sentra has had this problem for several years. I have replaced I don't know how many fuel pumps. It will be fine for awhile then it will crank but won't start. I have to literally pump the gas petal to get it to try to catch and start. Then it will start right up after that. Then if the car sits for a couple hours, it does the same thing. I did some research and my father and I tried to see if the white wire with a blue stripe was loose or corroded but it doesn't seem loose. Haven't traced the whole wire to see if it is corroded. A friend of mine was inquiring about a wiring problem that has to do with the hood/computer? I am not sure and wanted to ask someone that might know some more information. I am spending so much money on this car. It has been great besides this starting problem. I would love to get a couple more years out of it.

105

Does it start up fine right after you replace the fuel pump? If so, how long before it starts having problems again? Have you been replacing the fuel pump with a factory Nissan fuel pump?

20

same issue w/my pre-owned/dealership 2006 sentra @ 68K kms (45K miles), 2much hussle/inconvenience. ull alwis guess & pray it starts ok. if ok fine. then u drive, park, do ur business, get back, then pray agin, try starting. a very tormenting cycle. u want to go home but it wont start this time after several tries, u stop trying coz it cud drain up d battery, might even damage starter etc. so call the tow or what not? what if u r in the middle of nowhere? OMG! this was my experience after buying for the past 2 weeks & probably more to come - hit or miss. its good these things happen on dry land, if this car can fly i think there'll be lots of SOS/midday calls.& fatalities already. crappie car? Iniwis the guys up are all gurus/divas in their own right wd absolutely very helpful tips & experiences. But is this a single car brand issue or what? Thanx guys.

Hard starting of the Sentra 1.8 when engine warm is most likely a weak cam sensor, very easy fix. Hard starting when cold is a bit trickier. Mine starting having this problem on cold mornings after I installed and aftermarket temp. sensor. I put the original sensor back in and the problem disappeared. The lesson here is spend the extra money and buy factory sensors for this car. The aftermarket sensors simply do not fit the tight parameters set into the ECM. Overall I find my Sentra to be dependable and easy to diagnose and repair. On another note, beware aftermarket fuel pumps! They lack a fuel inlet temp. sensor and when installed will light the check engine light. Only the factory pump comes with this sensor. The car will run fine with the aftermarket pump, but the check engine light will cause you to fail an emissions inspection!