2004 Nissan sentra won't go more than 20 mph

180

Asked by May 22, 2012 at 07:39 AM about the 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8

I have a 2004 Nissan sentra, at first it wouldn't start, it would turn over, but not start, changed the fuel pump, crank
shaft sensor and cam position sensor, it starts now, but won't go faster than 20mph. And it seems like it just wants
to stall when it is sitting and idling. I really need help!!!!

12,005

What was the original problem when you changed the parts you did? Are you getting any codes?

180

The original problem was...it began taking a few tries to start in the mornings, then as I was on the highway and it stopped accelerating, the engine was still on and working, but it wouldn't go. After I pulled over and shut it off it wouldn't start again, codes were showing both the cam position sensor and crankshaft sensor, but it was also thought the it was the fuel pump, all of those were changed and it starts now, just won't accelerate above 20mph

12,005

Does it idle ok? If you have it in park can you hold a higher rpm? What happens when you try to accelerate above 20? Does it run rough or does it run smooth just no power?

180

It sometimes idles ok, sometimes not, if it's in park I can get a much higher rpm, if it goes above 20, it's like it just has no power to go, bu the car is still running, if that makes sense.

12,005

Might be catalytic converter. Listen to the exhaust with someone working the gas peddle. Does it sound like a hissing noise or just a rumble? When it has no power is it still smooth or no power and rough running at same time?

30

My 2004 Sentra does this EXACT same thing! Did you find a solution?

180

jace... I'm not sure which sensor, but it was either the cam positon sensor or the crank shaft sensor, we ended up replacing both and it has ran ever since.

4,255

it stopped accelerating because the ecm put car in failsafe mode when it sensed the bad sensors and if the codes were not cleared after it was repaired and an idle air volume learn not performed it'll be still in failsafe mode until codes are cleared that is why it slowly accelerates and goes so slow. check for codes and clear them if theres any.

25

I replaced the cam and crank sensors but all it does now is hiccup like it wants to start, but won't. I guess it is shop time

25

I haven't had the computer on the car since the parts were replaced so I don't know what code might be there

30

I have 2004 sentra 1.8s, the car stalled while driving at 110 km/hr w/out warning, I realized I can restart it again when the engine cools down a little, but once the engine reaches its normal operating temp it will shut off again, also reving the car in the park the same thing happens, check engine is on. Code show bad CPS, when I changed the CPS every thing where back to normal and the check enigne light went off by itself. I use only original nissan parts...the car is ok now

90

I AN USING A 2005 NISSAN SENTRA. Sometimes especially in traffic(20mph) i can not accelerate BUT the engine wiIl still be on and working, but it wouldn't go. If i pulled over and start again, than i can accelerate. Have changed the control board and fuel pump but the problem is still there.

10

Mine threw the same codes. Turned out to be the timing chain. Later the catalytic converter plugged up and it wouldn't rev up.

If it revs up but wont go faster theres a possibility it could be the speed sensor i had this issue with my altima there are to i believe mine was located on the transmission just food for thought

10

I have a 2005 sentra same problem. at first it wouldn't start, it would turn over, but not start, changed the fuel pump, crank shaft sensor and cam position sensor, it starts now, but won't go faster than 20mph. And it seems like it just wants to stall when it is sitting and idling. I really need help!!!!

10

Pennynagle1980 plz help me that's if you found a solution to yours. My mechanic is suggesting we convert to old manual throttle using a carborator

10

I have a 2008 nissan altima that cranks and revs fine but when i put it in drive it sometimes accelerates slow and sometimes fast but wont get above 20 and when it get around 20 it wont shift in drive or manual and it stars to hesitate anyone knows whats wrong????