Battery Warning Light Comes On, Randomly, than gous off

80

Asked by Feb 02, 2015 at 11:40 AM about the 2004 Nissan Maxima SL

Hi, 2004Nissan Maxima Ti, 6 cyl, 3.5 ltr,  A battery light Warning comes ON randomly on
dashboard, then gous Off, on it self, ( no pattern 4it as 2.when comes ON and no pattern
4 going OFF, also very random and no pattern off the times it remains lON.
Now the battery'are brand new, may be 3 weeks old.  When it comes ON wile you
driving, or when standing @ the Lights,  the car drives and behaves normaly when it
comes on, even Under a load as, stereo, A/C, blinkers or lights.. Any one has any ideas-
??? Thanks. Tony.

That icon that loos like a battery is really the alternator warning, it could be the alternator is not putting out enough (they do get weak before going out, not fail suddenly) or cables. Suggestion is check all cables and grounds. A cable terminal can have a bad connection between the cable and terminal, that you cant see, disconnect and do a continuity test, it should show little or no loss, and the battery ground where it bolts to block or frame . That randomness you describe leads me to think of cable connections

Best Answer
80

Hey, Thanks for your respond, I thought same thing,, and was looking at the wires, but did not disconect though, however I tried spraying a WD- 40 inside, thinking that may be it one of the brushes that getting stuck and that's causing, but it so neatly packed all the way around, that there is not even a little acsess to knock on it a little, You know.. However I think You are rite in being on the way out, cos being 2004 that's 11 years and still ttye OEM that's in there.. But logicly if it was on the way out, then it just should get worse and worse.rite-?? But it nust being random.... Only once when it came on, the car's exelarator wasn't responding, 4 few sec, till that light went Off, and the car went back to normal imideotltly. But it only happend ones, cos like.sad b4, when ever it comes on, even with lots of Load on, she just maintaines steady as., any diferent Thouts or still same-???

Pretty much same. The alternator can be a odd animal, work fine then act up then back to normal..with the movement of the belt spinning and car bumps. And Bingo, 11 years it's served you well, and most don't last that long. It has brushes, it's not an induction generator and they wear and a end-of-life get funky

Opps, sorry...you said it has brushes already. Didn't mean to come across as a know-it-all

80

Nah man, you cool, all good. I meant I presume that it most probably be the brushes ida worned out ( due to fact of 11 years dancing :)) ), or due to being worn out, may be one of them getting stuck... You know the funny thing is, my dad got a price from a mechanic for brand new one ( complete) of $500-00, and nit sure if that was including the labor or not, rite, but I stridaway thout, fuk, it like $3-60 for a pack of 10 on EBay ( or somthing simular ) or I even got 2 completly brand new ones at home from one of thous cheap garden electric sowers . And Iam most probably 150% could_v dis mental the old one from the car, and change thous brushes, and probably gave it a light restoration nudge( if you know what I mean Hahahaha) but fuk, like I sad in this car it is so neatly packed, and being on on the side and not in front, you know, it greatly reduces the excess to it!!! So b4 dismentaling the actual real thing, getting it of the car, I recon wuold be a Huge job and pain in the ass, it self!!! What you recon, makes cens-??? Lol.. And Yeh you got a point reg the bumps and belt, but I also Thout of the belt b4, but don't know if you knew, I didn't. :) but the belt on that model is self adjustable, you know like the Bimos, they got a little hydro lik set up next to the direction pulley, in the Bimos they sale this unit as one, new pulley and the hydro lik mechanism,they do come a part though and you can by it seperatly, but hey It All About Making The Big Bucks You know... Like I sad 4 me to do it wi new brushes+ cost of degreaser spray+ lubricant+ grease + my time(=0) hahahah total $10-00 if any.. New1 - $ 500-00. Still unsure if it wi labor or wiot...

55

I have same case, Battery light come and go way while given on gas. I have done alternator few months back, so I am planning to take to back to mechanic. Do am I still able to drive the car on road? I try to run in internal road for 3 to 5 mins, but I am scared to drive on road... Let me know you suggestion, thanks in advance ....

40

Same problem here. Battery light goes on and off randomly. Battery and alternator have both been checked and are fine. Mechanic said some connectors were bent and supposedly fixed them but light still goes off and on. Not set pattern of when our how often... Any other ideas would be appreciated. I have an 03 Ford Focus

10

I have the same issue 01 focus. What was your issue?