Tuning/Upgrading

15

Asked by Jul 11, 2008 at 02:35 PM about the 2004 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast

I want to start tuning my car up but i dont really know where to start.  I dont know that much about car engines but i know a good place to start is by chipping the engine.

can anybody give me any help or tips on where to begin?

45

How much cash to spend... Popcharger is a good start, twin-turbo or supercharger conversions readily available... What do you want from tuning and what budget ? try search 350z owners club, penty of ideas to hand

240

Whatever you do, exhaust, air intake, supercharger, etc etc. you have to tune you computer that contols the engine otherwise all those mods will not matter. What budget you on and whats yoru overal goal with the car?

140

hunter is incoreect in hi sstatement that it will need to be tuned with everything, my suggestions are just get an aftermarket cat-back exhaust and a cold air intake and maybe a short shifter for now and you should be able to increas ur hp about 25-30 and the short shifter will make it more enjopyable to drive considering its a 5 or 6 spd a tune is only needed if you go with a big upgrade like a supercharger or turbo kit

2,975

another popualar upgrade is the valve body spacer i believe its cheap and it adds power i think im not much on my 350z. But def upgrade the exaust and intake easiest thing to do first

45

dude...how are u gonna call out sum1 or even give advice when u dont even no the car...its a 6 sp, and a cat back and intake wont give 30 hp on a N/A car, and with the 350z's u do have to tune or the car will think something not running properly and will retard the system

5

It also wouldn't hurt to lighten it up . I dont know how expensive carbon fiber is, but taking a few lbs off is always helpfull. I know a kid who took the back seat out of his Cobra just to make it lighter.

305

hey well first thing...i worked for nissan and if u still have warrenty then dont modify the car in any way untill the warenty is up because nissan will try to screw u over. But if you dont have warrenty then do a cold air intake, throttle body spacer, and an exhaust from the manifolds back that will give u better airflow, fuel economy, and more power

2,975

haha i meant throttle body spacer....

2,975

hahaah 25-30 hp gain yea right maybe like 10-15 hp at the max you odviously dont know what your talking about.

2,975

carbon fiber is very expensive i have a friend that works for a fabrication company. They made the mold for that factory five cobra i think you can see the add in the back of car and driver anyway he was telling me the price went up because boeing baught a lot of the cf up for there new air bus planes

35

now thats ome funny shit. I own a 350z but when you said that BOEING bought carbon fiber for their new AIRBUS planes you made me laugh. BOEING and AIRBUS are two separate manufacturers. Like Adidas and Nike. "I dont think Adidas would buy leather for their new Nike shoe"

35

Clayton is 100% right. I have warranty until 75K so I cant touch my Z.

15

Update: Some hoe hit my dad when he was driving my car, he spun out and hit another car. Now its totaled but at least i can get another one off insurance money

35

Get a apr twin turbo and a 4.2 stroker(from Brian crower)if u want 1000 whp. A good low buck upgrade might be a RT cat.11 hp peak increase, but greatly improves powerband.