I have a 2005 nissan altima ser with 78000 miles on it. I bought it brand new and have never had a problem until now, I also store it in the winter. today when driving , it started to bog down all o

Michelle Brock

Asked by Oct 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM about the 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

f a sudden. lost power , not completely, just had to give it more gas. its like its stuck in 4th gear. it still goes down the road fine but higher rpm's. also, when I shut it off, it takes me several times to start it . this is really worrying me because I hope its not an expensive fix simply because I am currently laid off. Please let me know what the problem could possibly be

the ignition system is susceptible to ambient moisture conditions...the ignition wires are leakin' to the atmosphere....a mist of WD-40 (cheap fix) will put you right again...aim for the high voltage leads...give 'em a shower in the stuff...it cannot explode or catch fire simply "WATER DISPLACENT 40".....when you can afford it buy yourself a nice set of silicone high voltage wires to replace your (leaky to high voltage) ones~

Best Answer
Michelle Brock

okay, u think that is why I lost some power as well?

yes...sparkity spark was NOT full strength...back when I had a '96 Altima GLE, the oil leakage at the timing cover caused the distributor to get oil soaked then caused detonation destroyin' the motor....partially~...crippled it beyond a "miracle-cure" could mend~....donated it to the school~

Michelle Brock

oh that's great. that doesn't sound reassuring.

still puzzlin on your slip light...traction control is a hairy monster in the system~...a always shudder to think the computer's puttin' the brakes on while you're trying to accelerate~

Michelle Brock

okay, don't mean to sound stupid, but where exactly am I going to spray the w d-40? you see, my brother has moved away and he was my go to person since he was the mechanic

that car was Bad MOOJOO...they don't make them that way anymore~

Michelle Brock

that's exactly what it feels like while I am driving. it feels like the brake is on. what would cause that? all this is really pissing me off as you can maybe see. its almost winter and am laid off.. grrrr

okay, this vehicle has above the sparkplug coil packs...real easy to spot...mike over at 1A-auto has one in his hand right now~

Michelle Brock

you mean spark plug wires? spray those?

looks like a twin-cam job...the sparkplugs are between the camshafts in that valley there...just saturate the black wires...give them a generous splash of the WD-40...will get all the moisture out of that~

yes...have that warning light taken care of....can't have that kind of malfunction~

Michelle Brock

0kay, wish I could zoom it. looks like a spark plug wire

perhaps you can reset the trouble code with a low-price OBD-II code reader...and perhaps the trouble will diminsh...this is NEW territory for me too~

you could post a picture and I could try to figure out what Innahell is goin' on there~

click to zoom....but you knew that~

Michelle Brock

I have the v-6. this is going to be real interesting . when I open the hood it doesn't even look a motor. it looks real foreign compared to how they use to make them. what you think I should do about the tranny and the way its acting?

Check the fluid level (of the transmission) with it in park and the parking brake set...motor running when you pull the transmission stick fluid level should be between the low and high marks....in the knurled zone~...lower or smelling burnt or brown in color take it to a transmission shop to have the fluid replaced~

Michelle Brock

I don't have a pic of my car, but I am sure you can find one somewhere. my brother had a code reader and wouldn't you know it, hes not here. you see, if he was here, this wouldn't cost me anything.