1990 Montero losing power when accelerating, then loud clicking sound and engine just stopped running

Asked by Dec 04, 2013 at 06:39 PM about the 1990 Mitsubishi Montero Base 4WD

1990 Montero- was driving on to freeway, as accelerating began making loud clicking
sound, then losing power. Finally, car just dies and would not start again

oooo sounds like you broke the timing belt...well...not YOU, but the car has given up it's connection from cam to crank~ I'll research which motor~ some are "interference" engines such that a broken timing belt could prove fatal....some are repaired easily...wlll have to check into that~ perhaps one of my competent co-horts could chime in with this critical information...on the run right now but this is something to consider~

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Montero

There are five motors available for 1990...which one we got there?~

6,145

could be a fuel pump relay gone bad too or the fuel pump its self,, where is the clicking coming from, does it click when you have the ignition turned to the run position?

6,145

verify the basics ,, fuel and spark,, then that the motor is even turning when you try to start it, then we go from there,, also was there a check engine light when it started to run badly ? if so you can get a scanner and scan it and see what codes are there,, that should give us something to work with

Joan is NEVER going to answer....I fear~

6,145

lol maybe not Judge,, maybe not lol,, I wish people wouldn't leave these threads open ended though, it does nothing to help other people trying to fix the same problems,, and does nothing to educate the helpers that maybe didn't have the answer to the problem, I a lot of times learn by helping people even when I don't end up already knowing what the answers are, but I learn through helping and finding the answers,, oh well hope she comes out alright with it though

ya, bud the cargurus "search" searches the term and matches....it's keen, when I think of it....you know a lot of times they cannot figure it out....and chime in with is the solution...a year or more after the post...hey man, we're tryin' to help you~ 6 to 12 volt Volkswagen beetle is one of the puzzles...never did know that to do with the blue wire....as if this has NEVER been done before~

Y'know Danel, I believe the motor is TOAST, because it's an interference motor ....sheesh I could look up all FIVE motors for a correct answer...~ this really would negate any reason to come see us again~

looks to be in LOVE anyways....nothing else matters~