1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Asked by Aug 18, 2012 at 04:12 PM about the 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo

I have the above car. It has only 120K miles on it. But it seems to have an intermittent idle problem which seems mainly in hot weather. It also has a problem on hard acceleration. It feels like it is running out of air or gas. But is fine on the freeway at even 80 mph. The air filter is relatively new. The fuel filter is about 5 years old. I would like some advice on both.   Also do I need to upgrade the turbo to widen the powerband? The power seems to drop off at around 5500 rpm which makes for sort of a limited powerband.  I am not looking for a huge gain in power...just improve it a little. Any advice is appreciated!

3,125

5 years for a fuel filter is really old.it should be changed every year or 20000 kms/12000miles and your air filter as well.clogged filters will affect fuel ecomomy and performance. bad fuel filter can make it run like crap especially when accelerating.

35

Your issue really depends on how the problem happens... If its under full boost that it feels like it "cuts" than there are a few things you can try.. I need more info!

25

Sounds like a huge vacuum leak. Explains both problems. Check your vacuum/boost rubber lines.

Can u swap a 92 gs 2.0L non turbo flywheel with a 1990 gst flywheel and transaxle?

50

the 2.0 DOHC flywheel/driveplate is strictly a 6 bolt the 1.8 SOHC has a 5 bolt flywheel/driveplate. i needed a new tranny for my 92 gs 2.0 so i went to the junk and only found 1 auto tranny but was on a 91 gs 1.8. so i busted my ass taking that tranny off, payed for it. first thing i noticed when i was going to put the new tranny on mine is that the 1.8l has a 5 bolt flywheel/driveplate. my crankshaft bushing was a 6 bolt and would not line up with the 5 bolt flywheel. i put the tranny on but had to use the old flywheel/driveplate and the adapter plates on my old tranny. So pretty much the the SOHC engine is a 5 bolt and the DOHC engine is a 6 bolt strictly.. and dont forget to put lock tight on the threads before screwing the flywheel back in! if not your transmission bellhousing will crack. Mine cracked all the way down to the last bellhousing bolt that screws into the block and broke that piece off too. so my tranny is only holding up by 4 bolts.

6,265

make sure your idle air control valve (IACV) is good that will cause spikes and drops in idle but run just fine when not at idle