why is it frying the electrical ???

Asked by Nov 06, 2013 at 08:54 PM about the 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.0

so we have had the car for 2 years, always treated it nicely. but since we've gotten it we have put 4 alternators in it!! and two batteries!! why is it frying them ???? And we got up one day and the dome light wont turn on at all, the windows dont roll down, the power locks don't work, and the head light turn on but wont flip up, unless you do it manually. please help me im a student and have a love of cars and want to learn what is wrong i love this car !!!

78,545

Sounds like you have a main power circuit and or a ground pathway that is badly corroded.If you plan on going after this yourself I would recommend you but a good repair manual with wiring diagrams and component locator in it. This job might take some digging.

5,645

yeh i would just take it to a mechanic that specalizes in electrical problems,,, probably something simple like tennishoes stated but tracking that simple problem/fix is the hard part, unless your good with electrical then have at it, but i assume that since your asking us your not,,, maybe just do a look yourself and see if you can find any connections that don't look right and make sure that the battery connections are clean and tight and get the battery checked as well,,, from there i don't know what to tell ya

i am gonna get a chilton repair manual for it. and i looked at all the grounds and fuses i could and chased the positive wire for a bit and didn't find any thing odd could i have some thing to do with the vent fans that have never worked ??? thank you again for all the tips they are very appreciated

I have had the same problem with my 2000 montero sport. I was told this week to replace the upc valve that is above the alternater, they leak and ruin the alternater.

35

That happened to me too. 2 alternaters and 3 batteries later my friend found one of the main grounds was not connected.