1991-Mitsubishi Galant Automatic Transmission Problem

Asked by Jan 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM about the 1991 Mitsubishi Galant GS

21 January, 2009

I wonder if you could help me solve following problem with my car!!!
I own a preowned 1991 Model Mitsubishi Galant since last 10 years. It is an automatic transmission car. It has developed this problem- the gear works OK when I begin to drive after I first start the car & begin to move–I mean it has good Up-Shift from 1st-2nd-3rd-Overdrive. But if I reach 80KPH plus speed & then have to slow down the downward shift is rough and also it gets locked to whichever position it reaches- I mean if I slow down to where it down-shifts to 2nd gear it would not Up-Shift to third & O.D. & if it down-shifts to 1st gear it would stay in 1st only. The only way to release from these gears is to switch off the ignition & restart the engine.And if it were to slip from OD to third gear it would not go to OD on accelerating.
Could anybody please enlighten me as to where lies the problem? And what is the solution?

Thank you
Shuja
Email:  shujalalji@gmail.com

8,315

This is outside my realm of knowedge, but... Take it to a tranny shop... It's shifting well so it would appear to be a control unit and not the tranny itself. (dunno the car that well so can't say for certain) As such I would expect someone would need fairly specific knowledge to properly diagnose. As with any mechanic or shop, find a reputable one. A surprisingly large number will scam you on a regular basis(Over charge, substandard work, uneeded work, ect...), so it's very important to find a good one. Ask friends neighbors and once you have a few recommendations, check them with the better business bureau for complaints.