How do you remove front wheels on 1992 expo sp. Removed lug nuts but wheel won't come off.

Asked by Jul 24, 2015 at 11:38 AM about the 1992 Mitsubishi Expo 4 Dr SP 4WD Hatchback

Trying to remove front wheels from 1992 Mitsubishi expo sp.  Removed lug nuts but wheel will no budge.

You may have rust on the hubs. I have had this before with a car I bought up north. Advice (from an engineer up North) to free them. Loosen all lug nuts 2 turns on each stuck wheel. Take car out for SHORT SLOW drive around the block. Forcibly steer left and right, back and forth till wheel(s) breaks loose. You will feel it when they do. Drive back to yard and remove wheels. Use something like a Dremel tool to sand or brush the rust off the inside of wheel hub and also do the wheel hub itself. After your done you can apply a light coat of anti-seize compound to the mating parts. You can place a little on the lug nut studs too. Do not get any on the disc or brake pads, if you do lean it with brake clean aerosol spray. Blessings, John 20:29

Best Answer

What a lame answer. This can quickly ruin the wheel. Jack the car up safely, take lug nuts off... take 5lb hand sledge or larger and hit the back side of the wheel on the metal rim. A few hits is all it takes to pop the wheel off. These cars fit tight on the center hub and a little rust makes it hard. Some times, just kicking the wheel will pop it off. But the hand sledge works the best.