help

Asked by Jul 02, 2013 at 05:45 PM about the 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Turbo

I have 1992 Mitsubishi eclipse turbo.  About three months ago, my Mitsubishi started to stall while I am driving it. But right before it loses power, I hear cracking sound from the passenger side of the dash board. Whenever this happens, I wait for a few minutes and I start the car up and it runs smoothly for the next two three weeks and it happened again and I do the same thing. But the last time I heard the cracking sound and lost power, I am unable to get it started. The car has been parked for the last four months. I don’t know what to do. I change many parts. Tune-up, new battery new oxygen sensor and nothing solved my problem.
Can someone help me?  
Thanks in advance.
Adam.

when this happens, if you wait a few minutes it goes away?...or is persistently stubborn...what I'm thinking is vacuum leak at the fuel pressure regulator...get in there to find cracked vacuum hoses...replace them with silicone rubber ones (like bmw uses) that will not crack and fail....ever~

this "cracking sound" has got to be vacuum leaking and the device it operates failing to operate....in this case is the fuel pressure regulator which needs the vacuum to open up so more fuel can get through there~

5,955

sorta sounds like an ecu or something related to the turbo, are you getting any CEL's (check engine light)

107,455

On some early 90's MIT models the main relays are located on the passenger side floor board or right under dash on that side. That's probably where I would start looking. Do your plugs have spark? Do you have fuel on the fuel rail? Note that your fuel pump will only come on if engine is actually turning over so use caution checking for fuel pressure on rail since someone will have to be trying to start it while you check for it. Have a rag handy. (These fuel pumps do not prime with just key in on position)