Hi I have a 92 Mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 and I just replaced the stock cam gears with adjustable ones car ran great next morning started ran rough as usual let my foot off the gas died now won't start.

30

Asked by Feb 24, 2014 at 08:04 AM about the 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr VR-4 Turbo AWD Hatchback

122,775

You get it figured out?

30

Yeah I think so. The timing belt slipped and the cams got off. I ordered the proper tool to tighten the idler pulley and cam lockers for cam gears. Just hope it didn't do any damage.

122,775

Oh me too. Them valves get costly. Good luck and keep us posted.

30

You think I bent d one valves? The on was only off by two maybe three teeth.

122,775

Probably not if only off by a couple of teeth. But don't let me get your hopes up. When you get it back together if it does not run right I would advise to do a compression check just to make sure.

6,535

yeh how much did it get outta time?? don't take more than a cpl teeth to get it out of time and bend some shit,, you might of got lucky but do like dandyoun said and get a compression test on her,, well guess you could just see how she runs when ya fire it up and if its good its good,, but being how I am I know I would still want a compression test done,, If you did (god forbid) bend some valves then let me know I got the hook up on getting that sorted out,, let us know how it works out

30

I just recently bought a compression tester too so that works out good for me. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm trying to get it done this weekend because I will be leaving this coming up week for pre deployment training and will be gone for about a month and would like to get it running before then.

30

Do any of you know what compression should be off hand? I have the service manual for it but just wondering if you guys knew.

30

Oh and by the way I installed adjustable cam gears on it too is why I replaced the belt don't know if that makes a difference. I replaced both idler's as well as a lightweight aluminum main crank pulley.

122,775

You should be in the 120 - 160 psi range on the vr4. 8:1 compression ratio. But no lower than 120 psi. If you have a bent valve issue it will probably show 0 psi on that cylinder.

30

Thanks dandy my tools should be here today so I will keep you posted on how it goes.

30

Update on my car. She is running again I don't think any valves got Bent because she seems to run just fine. I haven't done a compression test yet its too cold out and I leave in two days so I will just wait until I get back it will be warmer then too. Thanks for all of your tips and advice guys.

122,775

Glad you got it going. These are fun cars. Oh and I probably would not worry about the compression test. Cause if there was an issue with some bent believe me you would know it by the way it idled.

30

How would it idle if there were bent valves? Just curious

6,535

it wouldn't very well depending on which valves were bent and by how much