i have a 92 3000gt sl and i was driving and it start5ed spitting and sputtering then died now i have no spark and fuel pump not comming on will not start any help?????

BCLOER90
0

Asked by Feb 07, 2013 at 05:12 PM about the 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2 Dr SL Hatchback

oooo had this happen to my Toyota truck, the timing chain broke. how many miles are on this engine?...sounds drastic, but may not be the end of the world.

98,345

I agree. If over 100000 and the belt has never been changed I would do a compression check on each cylinder. You should have 150 to 200 psi on each. If belt slipped or broke you probably took out some valves. Compression check will let you know if the valves are ok or not. Good luck

Daniel Foster
5,515

does it turn over ?

BCLOER90
0

yes car turns over and like a champ and motor was rebuilt 8000 miles ago new timing belt so no problems there????? thanks for all the replies tho

87,055

Get the fuel going. Check the fuses and relay, if they check out, replace the fuel pump. Try some starting fluid to see if you have spark.

could read the trouble codes, just for funzies~

oooo open up the distributor and see if it turns....oooo timing belt time...could be-

98,345

I agree with tenspeed. Try some starting fluid. The fuel pumps on 91 and 92 will not prime when key is turned on. Might try turning over and checking fuel pressure at fuel rail.

98,345

If you have fuel check cam position sensor. It controls your coils.

Does it sound fast and weak when you turn the key? I'm suspecting a broken timing belt. your distributor is tied to this belt and would not turn if the belt were kaput.

98,345

Your car does not have a dist. So please don't look for one.

Huh,? guess I'm still in the stone age. Every car had a distributor 93-96. I shouldn't even try anymore-

what are they using now, a crank angle sensor, a cam angle sensor and a MAF sensor and between this soup of information manage to make it run right...well golly, sakes alive-

98,345

It's all good. But yes these cars do not have them. They have three coil packs.

Yeah, I remember replacing those on a chevy cavalier back in the day-

...goodness, this is embarrasing~

BCLOER90
0

yea i replaced all coil packs and no spark still ummmm and yes it turns strong and fast so i kno its not battery or starter and timing belt is brand new put in when engine was rebuilt im wondering is there are any like ecu problems they had in these cars or relays that are notorious for being bad

BCLOER90
0

o and ive tried starter fluid and nothing so thats y im guessing no spark and again thanx for all replies

98,345

Does it appear to be turning faster than it normally did?

98,345

Use a spare plug wire and plug to test for spark. Plug it into one of your coils and hold to valve cover to check for spark.

98,345

Sorry but what your describing sure sounds like a timing belt issue and yes these cars are known for them causing major issues. When they break they normally take out valves which causes the engine to turn over real strong and fast. It also causes no spark due to the back bank intake cam not turning the cam sensor.

BCLOER90
0

no it turns normally and timing belt wouldnt cause fuel pump not to come on and like i said it was running and driving fine and started spitting and sputtering then jus wont start timing belt is good and tight not wore out its all good

98,345

Try 3SI.org. They should be able to help you with how to test your ICM. Good luck

98,345

If timing belt is not turning the cam with the cam position sensor on the end of it the fuel pump will not come on.

bruzin10
45

I have a 92 mitsubishi 3000gt sl and ran across a similar problem except I'm getting fuel iv already changed the position sensor and the timing belt is next I would start with the 90 dollar timing belt rather than the 250 dollar position sensor

bruzin10
45

If you suspect the computer is the main cause log into herehttp://www.3si.org/ and the mechanics on here will guide you in the right direction were all stealth/3000gt owners

DJPCham2015
45

I'm dealing with the same thing. Also '92 3kGT SL. No pump prime, no fire to the ignitions system (I HAD a friend with a 93 and I would take my parts and test on her car entire ignition system is good), My ECM is straight from Autozone and my fuel pump relay is clicking when I turn the key and everything (not sure if clicking is good though).

supercharged923000gt
10

I feel you're pain man. All us first gen owners do I'm sure. For quite sometime now my car has run awful and anytime i gave it throttle it would bog down and spit and sputter and after a motor swap and everything and i mean everything unter the hood replaced it finally died on me this weekend in the middle of nowhere in the mud and rain and wouldnt start and when I got it home after a friend pulled me back I realized I wasn't getting spark and my fuil pump wasn't coming on just as you have describe. With great amounts of research and money spent i finally believe i found my issue. I pulled my ecu out over the weekend and after close inspection of the circuit board I found that it had char marks everywhere due to leaky component which is typical of the first gen ecu for some reason or another. I have since ordered a replacement and it fired right up and ran better then it ever has! I would highly recommend changing out you ecu and then if that doesn't do it for you at least you know that's in working condition and you can then trace the wires back from there and check voltage levels to the connections and make sure that they're getting proper voltage.

Daniel Foster
5,515

could possibly be the cam or crank sensor guys

Daniel Foster
5,515

I need some one on one time with you guys off the gurus site like on facebook messenger so we can chat in more real time.... but this wouldn't be the first time I helped solve the same issues as your having

F1Al
0

Hi I just had the same problem and before i went changing everything I started with cheapest thing to check before I went nuts...I dont know if you know this but there is a fuse box under the dash and a fuse that says motor its blue 15amp fuse try that first and then your relays...let me know what happens